Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Like both

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

quailboy02

In the Brooder
6 Years
Sep 23, 2013
Hey I am a incubating 29 quail eggs with 12 chicken eggs in a hovabator 1602n with universal auto egg turner how am I supposed to hatch them if the quails hatch before chickens open to any comment please help!

I've hatched eggs laid on different days together a few times. When one batch is ready to hatch before the others, you can either buy a second incubator, or choose to turn the batch that's still cooking by hand, while taking the turner out for the others to hatch. I've turned a few by hand before, while still getting a relatively successful hatch rate. Of course, I would still recommend getting a second one if you plan on hatching different eggs at different times again.
big_smile.png

No I do not is that required

I have 5 incubators, they are all the styrofoam ones, but I have 1 or 2 set up as hatchers and the rest as incubators. Right now, I have quail in one hatcher in lockdown & one with chickens. I have found, from my own trial & error, that the quail need a lower humidity than chickens. Im sure it depends on geography and other factors, but I have had best results with quail at 15% humidity. Chickens I keep at around 25%. Ive never hatched a quail over 25% humidity during incubation. Lockdown I take it up to about 35%.
Another thing is the turner, it has to be turned off 3 days before hatch, so I dont know how that will work, unless you are turning the chicken eggs by hand, and then you are opening the incubator & letting humidity out, and if any of the quail are pipped, and you open it, you could shrink wrap them. I learned that the hard way :(.. and helping a quail hatch is alot harder than helping a chicken hatch when you shrink wrap them. Good luck with your hatch :)

I was thinking about taking out the eggs racks that the quails were in and then sit them where the eggs racks used to be and then leave the two egg racks that I have the chicken eggs in so they can turn without me opening the incubator
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom