How to integrate my hen into a flock of 2.

Mar 29, 2022
A couple of months ago I rescued 2 hens ( Arya and Raya) and they had their own separate run and coop. Unfortunately, 1 month ago Arya passed away and her very bonded sister was depressed. So, I decided to move her in with another rescue pair (Karli & Pepper) to see if she wouldn't be as lonely. They do great in the run together but when I try to put Raya up for night with them, Karli & Pepper get very protective and chase her to the corner. Raya has been sleeping separately from them but it would be nice if they could all get along upstairs. Pepper is completely fine with Raya but Karli is dominant and likes to be the boss. Any ideas?

That they're tolerating her in the same coop should be good enough for now. If you wish to keep an all girl flock, I'd leave well enough alone and just let them sort it out.

If you can, and if you want, you might consider getting a rooster to help consolidate your flock. Roosters are often keen to gather as many girls around them at the same time as possible, and this herding could make the difference for your singled out girl.

Well we have a rooster who was living with Karli and Pepper, But became very very very protective of Karli ( If I tried to pick her up or pet her he would attack me) so he had to move to a different coop ( we have 2 and a little run/ upstairs area for Raya). He does do good with Raya, but if he is in the same coop with Raya, Pepper, and Karli, and Raya walks past or gets near Karli he gets mad at her. Thanks for the suggestion though!

Raya has been sleeping separately from them but it would be nice if they could all get along upstairs. Pepper is completely fine with Raya but Karli is dominant and likes to be the boss. Any ideas?
You could put Karli in a different pen at bedtime, for a few nights.

That might let Raya get used to sleeping where you want her to, and let Pepper get used to Raya sleeping there.

Then after a few days, try letting Karli sleep there again too. She might accept Raya at bedtime, if Raya is confident about sleeping there and if Pepper accepts Raya sleeping there.

(No guarantees, of course-- this might work, or might not work.)

Update: 3 nights ago, we had an owl rip through the wire of one of our coops and kill one of our beloved hens. The coop was beyond repair and we had 2 other chickens living in so we moved them to Raya's pen/ coop. Since we didn't have a place to put Raya, I thought it was time to move her up with Karli & Pepper. It worked!!!! Thanks everyone for your advice, it really helped, Karli was no longer aggressive, and Pepper was used to it. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom