How to Introduce a New Bird?

georgia_wife

In the Brooder
May 13, 2023
Hello!

I got this frizzle paint silkie today, I was told he is a he and around 3 months old.

3351D013-4F5A-4C3F-949D-EA79D57BB451.jpeg

I have 4 Easter egger pullets that are around 8-9 weeks old. They are at least double his size so I am a little worried about introducing them.
I will have him in quarantine for a little just to make sure he isn’t sick, and I planned on a slow introduction, but if anyone has any advice this will be my first time introducing a new chicken to the group as the 4 ladies came together!

Thanks in advance!

Hello!

I got this frizzle paint silkie today, I was told he is a he and around 3 months old.

View attachment 3528731

I have 4 Easter egger pullets that are around 8-9 weeks old. They are at least double his size so I am a little worried about introducing them.
I will have him in quarantine for a little just to make sure he isn’t sick, and I planned on a slow introduction, but if anyone has any advice this will be my first time introducing a new chicken to the group as the 4 ladies came together!

Thanks in advance!
“see no touch” is usually a good integration tactic. At 3 months, “he” looks more like a “she” to me. But of course, Silkies are notorious for being harder to sex.

I have two coops, one has a fence for an outside area while one does not. My newcomers always go into the coop with a fence and see the chickens that have already been living at my place through the fence for a month or two depending on how quickly they accept other chickens. My chickens have always been pretty good at accepting newcomers but everyone’s are different. I never just put my chickens together at night even if they are good during the day together at first just as a safety precaution.

Back
Top Bottom