How to introduce a new group, baby cockerels, and… how do I proceed?!

MichiganGirls

Chirping
Aug 6, 2022
Hi everyone!

So, a little background. I’m a new chicken owner, and of course, am in over my head due to some chicken math.

I got my first set of chickens from TSC in March. 6 big girls and 2 bantams. They are in a pretty solid flock, I’d say. They do everything together and have a pecking order of sorts.

I also have a second group of almost 6 week old orpingtons, that I hatched from eggs we received. There are 7 babies. They hatched June 30th. There is at least one cockerel (you can look at my post history if you’d like pics!)

My set up: I have a coop with an attached run that my big girls go into at night only. They free range from 7 am till sundown. The run is now shut down for the chicks, with a dog kennel set up for them to go into at night. I’ve predator proofed if as much as possible. We’ve been putting them in the run during the day and their brooder in the garage at night since about 3 1/2 weeks, and started the kennel a few nights ago. Quite frankly, it was getting hot in the garage and they were getting kinda big for the brooder. The hens don’t give a crap. They don’t use the run, pretty much ever.
Free ranging, the big girls have access to 10 acres, with 8 of it fully wooded. I have four dogs and a cat that keep predators down, but obviously, we understand the risks.

My main questions:

- my chickens are not mean, and not overly friendly. They live amongst us just fine, but we don’t cuddle them or anything. I feed them, water them, and make sure they have safe spaces. We enjoy watching them live their lives. Will this be a problem with a rooster? Should I be showing this cockerel extra attention or anything?
- introductions? I believe the babies are too small to actually interact with the big girls just yet, but I’m wondering when a good time would be. Ideally, I’d like both groups to free range and work out a pecking order and form new groups amongst themselves. Kinda let it work itself out naturally. I know, I might be living in fantasy land. Right now the big girls can obviously see the chicks, and they walk up to the run to check them out sometimes. They don’t do much of anything. Just look at them and go on with their day.
- will a rooster pose a threat to my dogs? I’m a little worried that if my dogs are seen as a threat that a rooster may attack. My dogs don’t approach the chickens, pretty much ever. There is enough space that they pretty much leave them alone unless there is a raccoon or opossum or something, and then my dogs are protective of their chickens. I don’t want a rooster to see that as a threat to his livelihood or something, though.
- should I get a second coop? The plan was for one big one, but if I have a couple groups I think they may want their own space for nighttime?
- cockerels. I wanted one to sort of round out everything. I have no restrictions where I live, as it’s agricultural, and I have enough space. But should I risk having 2 if I have more than one group? I DO have little kids - so if one or both shows ANY sign of aggression it’s getting eaten.

Alright tell me your thoughts. I’m willing to take any and all advice on how to proceed here.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Glad you joined.

Some photos of your set-up might help a little or raise some flags, my main concern is how big your main coop is for down the road.

The way I'd approach it would be to let the young ones out to free range. See what happens. I'd expect the two groups to pretty much keep to themselves and not bother each other. It's possible there will be a learning curve, the chicks might get pecked if they bother the big girls but they should very quickly learn to not bother them. At night they should each go back to their sleeping spots.

After they have learned to free range together without incidents (OK if they stay apart) you can try moving the juveniles in the main coop at night. A week might be enough but I usually give mine a month, I have no reason to rush it. Mine don't sleep on the main roosts with the adults but find their own place to sleep. My goal is that no one gets hurt. All that buddy buddy one big flock can come later. I'm down there at daybreak to see how it is going. Mine are always OK but I don't know what your main coop looks like or how big it is. You may need to put them inside the main coop when it gets dark for a while but eventually they should get the message as long as the adults are not bullying them when they are in there.

I really have nothing to add to what Ridgerunner said about integration. RR’s advice is always spot on.

I just wanted to address your question about whether or not you should give your cockerel extra attention. I do not do that with mine. I just go about my business, go where I want when I’m out with the birds, and let them know I won’t put up with any nonsense. I walk through them, walk toward them until they move out of my way, and always keep an eye on them so they don’t sneak up on me. If I do have one that tries a sneak attack, I will again walk towards it until it backs up. My cockerels/roosters are not pets. They have a job to do, and I will not keep one that threatens my grandkids or isn’t smart enough to figure out that he shouldn’t go after the giant that brings food.

Some photos of your set-up might help a little or raise some flags, my main concern is how big your main coop is for down the road.
Ditto Dat^^^

Go for one big coop, you'll be glad in the middle of winter.
Get rid of one, or both, males.
Is the main coop available to the chicks during the day?

I have less experience than most on here, but here’s how I did integration and it worked really well. I put their brooder in the (secure) run for a week or two. I made the brooder without a bottom. And then after a couple weeks I raised the brooder up on blocks a few inches off the ground and put the feed and water right by the brooder. This way the young ones could come out of the brooder and go into it for protection at will. I watched some and basically the little ones would come out into the run with the big ones but as soon as someone got mean, they would go back in. It worked like a charm and now everyone gets along. I will. Definitely do this method again in the future

I really have nothing to add to what Ridgerunner said about integration. RR’s advice is always spot on.

I just wanted to address your question about whether or not you should give your cockerel extra attention. I do not do that with mine. I just go about my business, go where I want when I’m out with the birds, and let them know I won’t put up with any nonsense. I walk through them, walk toward them until they move out of my way, and always keep an eye on them so they don’t sneak up on me. If I do have one that tries a sneak attack, I will again walk towards it until it backs up. My cockerels/roosters are not pets. They have a job to do, and I will not keep one that threatens my grandkids or isn’t smart enough to figure out that he shouldn’t go after the giant that brings food.
This is what I do. I don't let them think they can get the upper hand on me. When I was a little kid I babied a cockerel, he grew up to be not afraid of me. I loved to handle my hens and went in to catch one. He beat the crap out of me. I was small for my age. We did not keep him. I think my dad gave him to my grandpa to butcher.

Back
Top Bottom