How to introduce a single gosling to a group of older and bigger ducklings?

Goobermeister

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
Cemtral Texas
Not sure if this is suited for the goose or duck forum, please move to the other forum if it is more appropriate. So I got a pair of goslings, a male that is 4 weeks old, and a younger female that is only 1.5-2 weeks old. The two get along great when they are together. I also have a class of nine 4 week old ducklings. I've put them all in the same brooder, but with the goslings in a little mesh pop up tent so the ducklings and goslings can see each other, but are still segregated.

They seemed mutually curious about each other, so I let them have some supervised time together. The ducklings nipped at the older gosling, and he gave as good as he got. And of course, being twice their size, they quickly left him alone. But the younger, smaller gosling got picked at and jumped on pretty consistently, especially if she tried to go for the food or water. And usually by the same 2-3 ducklings. I put them back in their tent so she would not be denied access to food or water.

What can I do? Is it just a matter of time being exposed to each other before the bullying on the little gosling stops? Is some amount of bullying expected, and will it stop once the pecking is all sorted out? Should I just wait until she's bigger and can hold her own? I'm thinking of separating the two goslings, as the younger one is still on starter, and I want to make sure she's getting the protein she needs in her starter and water, and so the older one doesn't get angel wing from eating her starter. The older gosling I'm sure will be fine with the ducks, but will the little one be alright by herself if she can still see everyone? I'm very lost.

Provide adequate space, multiple feed and water stations, and all should go well.
I do have two feed and water stations, but the little one follows the flock, so she only seems to go for the feed and water stations everyone else is at, which means she is pushed out and nipped at. At least during their short supervised stints together.

I’m late to the party and wish I had a better experience to share but ducks, especially drakes can be jerks and worse so during laying season. I still have to separate one of my drakes from my geese even after years of sharing an enclosure and growing up together. Unfortunately, I think it just depends on the temperament of the fowl involved. The one drake will try to mate and or exert dominance over every feathered creature on the property despite having his rear end kicked by several roosters, guinea fowl and a gander. I’m thinking his name is about to change to Christmas Dinner this winter.

Very late update, but in case anyone finds this thread, I came home from work that day to find all my females had wormed their way into the pop up tent with the geese. The females were very nice to my little gosling and didn't beat up on her at all, they were just hanging out. Very odd.

I just decided to let them all mingle together and it became very apparent the drakes were the perpetrators. But it seemed like after getting to integrate with the females the harrassment stopped and she did perfectly fine.

A year later now, she still lives with the ducks and isn't afraid to show them who's boss.. Like anytime a drake tries to mount one of my ducks she screams until her gander mate literally pulls the drake off.

So you could say she's doing well.

Back
Top Bottom