how to introduce chicks?? please help!!!

jpumpkin

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
I have 6 full grown chickens and I'm wondering how I can introduce my 5 baby chicks into there area. They have malted the 1st time and are to big to be in the house anymore. I'm just scared the big chicken are going to kill them. Please help. I also have 3 ducks how can I make everyone get along. The chicks and ducks are inseparable. Please help!!!!

Your instincts are correct, the hens would probably kill your small chicks. I always wait until they're very close in size to introduce them to the hens. Is there a way you can make them a separate area in the coop?

Another thing you can do is, put a pallet up on blocks, and food and water underneath that, so it's too short for the hens, and it's a safe haven for the chicks.......But still, the chicks can get hurt. There is risk if they come out and a hen grabs them.

Can you rig up a temporary brooder outside or in the garage for them?

Good luck to you!

Sharon

I don't have a lot of room. I didn't realize when I got chicks given to me that this would be a problem. I'm just don't want anyone to get hurt. I was thinking I could have them together during the day when I'm around and put them in a dog box at night. Do you think this might work.

Quote:
Maybe if you have some hiding places for the chicks in there.....with food and water....where the hens can't reach them....

Back
Top Bottom