1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How to introduce new, younger chickens without having them pecked?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by XilverAngel, Jan 1, 2010.

1. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    Hey all, I have two younger BR i want to mix in with my current flock of four. But one of the hens, surprisingly, the one that usually follows us around and seems the kindest, pecked one BR until her comb bled. Any idea of how to have them together without them killing each other?? We are hoping we dont have to make another coop.... [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Once the younger bird is at least 16 weeks old then you can attempt to put them together and then you still have to monitor closely.

3. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    section off an area temporarily so they can see the new ones, but can't hurt them. Then put the feed and water close to the fence on both sides, give them a chance to see each other for at least a week. Also, don't integrate when the younger ones are still making baby sounds- when you do put them together their will be some scuffles, but not as bad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by