how to introduce rooster to my hens..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mommyoftwo, Aug 13, 2013.

1. mommyoftwo

mommyoftwo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2013
    Yesterday I went and picked up two rooster. With the idea that I am only going to keep the friendliest one. How to I introduce them to my small flock of hens? Right now their free range on the outside of my coop/run. The girls are locked in. and having a fit about the boys being outside. They keep walking the edge of the coop making lots of noises. How long should I leave them separated and what the easiest way to put them together. I'm almost done with their final coop a 5 by 12 with 4 nest boxes and a tree branch roost. Should I just wait until I can move them in the finally coop? Or do it now before it done? Right now their in an old dog house which is 2 by 4. Also in my of my pulletz is laying so how long until I can hatch her eggs?

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  2. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Introduce the roosters to your hens through a fence for a few weeks. Then let them meet in an open area. Your pullets' eggs can be hatched out when the eggs are fully sized and the correct shape.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by