How to keep a Livestock guardian dog out of the chicken run/feeder

Odoschickens

In the Brooder
Jan 24, 2021
Greetings all,
I am new to raising chickens but not new to raising Anatolian Shepard dogs as guardians. Our livestock guard is doing very well with the chickens and is nearly ready to be left alone with them. However we are having difficulty keeping the dog out of the chicken run and out of the chicken feeder. The dog lives in the chicken yard and we let the chickens roam the yard during the day with their run open so they may have access to water, feed, and the coop when they desire. We are trying to come up with a way to allow the chickens access to their run, coop, and yard, without allowing the dog inside the run. Any suggestions on infrastructure improvements to help with this? Thank you!

DobieLover

Easily distracted by chickens
Premium Feather Member
Jul 23, 2018
NY Southern Tier
My Coop
My Coop
Greetings all,
I am new to raising chickens but not new to raising Anatolian Shepard dogs as guardians. Our livestock guard is doing very well with the chickens and is nearly ready to be left alone with them. However we are having difficulty keeping the dog out of the chicken run and out of the chicken feeder. The dog lives in the chicken yard and we let the chickens roam the yard during the day with their run open so they may have access to water, feed, and the coop when they desire. We are trying to come up with a way to allow the chickens access to their run, coop, and yard, without allowing the dog inside the run. Any suggestions on infrastructure improvements to help with this? Thank you!
Pictures of your setup will help immensely with providing suggestions.

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
Set up feeder with a piece of 2x4 welded wire around it.
Chicken heads can fit thru, dog head cannot(tho dog tongue might so spacing needs to be tweaked)

Top Bottom