How to keep cement floor dry?

Post some pics all around inside and out.
If the floor is getting wet during rain, you have a runoff issue.
Might be solved with better roof overhangs.
It's kind of a hassle right now because we're using a tarp and removable chicken wire as the ceiling on the run. I almost got scratched by it a couple times. Would it be okay to add a metal roof and make it on a slope on top of the flat roof we have now? We found a raised board and we put that inside the coop for now and that's been keeping their bedding dry. I would love to build a run around their coop and give them a permanent roof and make it 8'x6'x6' but I did the math and getting the backyard cloth, lumber, and everything, it's a little too expensive for me right now so I will have to wait. Their coop is 8'x4' and current run is 8'x4'x2' made with an old pea vine gate I found laying around. I think it would be better if it was the other way around since it doesn't seem like they need a lot of coop space.

Attachments

• IMG_20211020_154223823.jpg
    IMG_20211020_154223823.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211020_152416681.jpg
    IMG_20211020_152416681.jpg
    764.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20211020_152301562.jpg
    IMG_20211020_152301562.jpg
    729.6 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Other possibility is that no vapor barrier was placed under the concrete when it was poured - and that its wicking moisture out of the wet soil. There's no fix for that, all you can do is use a concrete sealer to try and keep the water in, rather than on, the concrete.

Looks like your ground is pretty flat (I know photos can be deceptive), if you are getting rain water running in, look to berms and swales to better direct it around the coop.

Other possibility is that no vapor barrier was placed under the concrete when it was poured - and that its wicking moisture out of the wet soil. There's no fix for that, all you can do is use a concrete sealer to try and keep the water in, rather than on, the concrete.

Looks like your ground is pretty flat (I know photos can be deceptive), if you are getting rain water running in, look to berms and swales to better direct it around the coop.
The ground seems pretty flat to me. I didn't see any puddles when it was pouring last time. Just spots of what looked like wet dirt.

Back
Top Bottom