How to keep chickens from pecking each other?

rangertim

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 22, 2009
I have a problem with chickens pecking one another. Just bought the hens three days ago. already had the rooster.The rooster started to fight the one hen and he had hurt the back of her neck.She put her head threw the fence and another hen was pecking her in the backside.She was pecking her and eating her flesh.What can I do to prevent this? Thanks.

Did you keep the hens in separate cages before the intro? How much space do you have in your coop? How bad did the others injure the bird? Once started, cannibalistic chickens may have to be culled.

Quote:
Yes I got the hen out.They would have killed her.The hens was in a pen with about 30 other hens when I got them. I have a lot that is 15 foot wide and 25 foot long with 5 golden comet hens and one rooster.

Quote:
She has a spot on her neck from where the rooster hurt her.And a pretty bad spot next to her tail were the hen pecked her.I think she will be alright caught them in time.I don't know what caused the rooster to turn on her.they was fine 30 mins earlier.

I put the link on the tread. They are very territorial. Mine constantly do the pecking order.
I introduced an EE hen that my Dad-in law gave me last February.
I put heads of lettuce, cabbage, black sunflower seeds, and stuff like that to keep them all occupied.

Last edited:
maybe the other chickens senced there was something wrong with the one being pecked at,, & did what they thought was best,, to rid of it.

Last edited:
i HAVE 3 WEEK OLD CHICKS ONE OF THEM KEEPS PECKING THE OTHER GIRLS TO THE POINT OF DRAWING BLOOD WE TRIED A RED LIGHT WE TRIED TO SEPARATE FOR 5 DAYS AND AS SOON AS WE PUT HER WITH THE OTHER GIRLS SHE STARTED PECKING THEM AGAIN. WHAT CAN WE DO

Back
Top Bottom