how to keep chickens out of cat food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by joye, Feb 15, 2014.

1. joye

joye New Egg

Feb 15, 2014
    i have some chickens that will fly over the fence; they ultimately at first wondered to the back porch but now come straight to it to eat my cat food. What is someway to devise a cat food eating place to keep the chicks out? i put the pan on top of grill but the chicks jump up there. Really frustrating to me. HELP!

2. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    I feed my barn cat while the chickens are still locked in; never leave the food out. He gets two meals daily of good quality food, so no waste and nobody else gets any. Mary

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    We also pretty much pick up the dog or cat food during the day and just have it out at night. If your cats are averaged sized and the chickens are standard sized, you maybe could also put the cat food in a box etc with a hole / pet door type thing in it that the cats can get in but the chickens can't/ won't. Are they your chickens or do they belong to a neighbor?
    and Welcome :frow to BYC!

4. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I would let my hens eat all the cat food they wanted, it makes the eggs taste like the ocean, fishy.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2014
  5. annagarret

annagarret Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2013
    Memphis Michigan
    My Coop
    My hens loooooove cat food. I haven't noticed a different taste though. I will have to pay more attention.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by