How to keep chickens quiet

rjackh

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 16, 2014
Central Texas
I have a welsummer and BLR wyandotte hen, both about a year old. Both will eat scratch out of my hand and can be picked up. The BLR went broody a couple months ago, leaving the welsummer to wander then run by herself for a while. I could tell she was on edge and she made a lot of noise. Maybe this rubbed off on the BLR, because now they both make quite a bit of noise every now and then. Sometimes its at the sight of people, and sometimes they'll just make noise for no apparent reason. I have been to farms with 200 hens in a pen and didn't hear any of them making this much noise... Are they not comfortable in a flock this small?

I want 4 hens total, and I am trying to decide if I should start over with 4 new hens or add 2 to my current flock (I found a good home for my two loud mouths where noise isn't an issue). I am wondering if adding two to my flock now will calm mine down some and keep them quieter, or if they will always be like this. Thanks for any advice.

Chickens make noise....both males and females...sometimes it's very loud noise.
Different individuals make different vocalizations for different reasons at different times.
Females can make more noise then males IMO...it's just usually in the daytime rather than anytime.
It's usually not something you can control.

As to adding 2 to your flock or starting over, it would probably be easier to start over with 4 new ones as integration in a small flock with a small facility can be problematic....and will probably create a lot of noise.

I dunno, it sounds like they are lonely to me, like maybe they are calling out for others to join their flock. Two doesn't really make a flock, they need pals. When I was down to two (two died) they got super skittish and a bit obnoxious. Four is a nice number I think. I have four right now and they are very happy together, although I'm adding a couple more.

Mine used to make more noise before I expanded their run, and now they are quieter than ever, probably because they are getting so much more exercise. They love laying under a bush in the shade during hot summer days, and while there they try not to make any noise unless someone comes close, or else it gives away their position.

Last edited:
Over the past 7 years I've had a hen that cackled every summer morning, Loud. Luckily I'm in an area where everyone can put up with it, I feel for you if it's a problem. All my hens will make general announcements of the weather, how they're feeling and especially if they have layed an egg. My neighbors hens do it too, Maybe you should hook your neighbors into getting chickens, it will may yours look quite.
I would say If you want to start over, consider bantams. In my experience the bantams I had were much quieter.

Thanks. I was thinking they just wanted more friends as well, and a larger flock would make them more at ease. I would hate to get two more and the opposite happen, and have 4 loud mouths instead of two. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Thanks. I was thinking they just wanted more friends as well, and a larger flock would make them more at ease. I would hate to get two more and the opposite happen, and have 4 loud mouths instead of two. Anyone else have thoughts on this?
Four hens will be make more noise that two, count on it.

Four hens will be make more noise that two, count on it.
Or will they be more comfortable with a larger group and be quiet? I saw this because I have walked in pens with over a hundred hens and none of them were cackling like mine do every now and then. I'm sure the egg songs get loud with that many, but they seemed more at ease than mine.

My personal experience was that going from one to 4 increased the noise. My neighbor went to 13 and there is no difference either. I would bet that Toddrick has the best solution of more space

I hadn't considered it being the space. They are currently in a ~3x6 coop/run and get let out to roam all over the backyard (1 acre lot) a couple times a week. Their previous enclosure was a 4x8 coop/run with a 16x16 pen around it that they had free roam of daily.

Back
Top Bottom