How to Keep Duckling Pen Dry

RileyB

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 7, 2012
NH
I have year old ducks and chickens, but recently got two more ducklings that are approximately a month old. Since we got them at two days old, we have been trying our hardest to keep the brooder dry. I know they're ducks and want to be wet, but the bedding gets soaked immediately no matter what we do. We have tried different waterers, but nothing works. I have no idea how they do it, but after giving them water they get the brooder soaked 100% every time.
Does anyone have tips for keeping the duckling bedding drier? Or do all ducklings end up living in a wet, disgusting pen?

Hello Neighbor!

I am in the same boat as you, my first time with ducklings and they are about 5 weeks old and I'm really battling with keeping a dry brooder. I have their bowl over a box with the wire on top so most of the water spills into their, that does help. Although now that they are getting older they are splashing their water everywhere dipping their heads into the dish. I have just been cleaning out the wet shaving everyday, I don't see any other way.
Thank goodness we finally have a nice spring day, the ducklings are outside for the first time so at least for a couple of hours their pen is staying dry
hu.gif
. It's just part of having ducks I guess!

Angie

I have ducks and they ALWAYS live in a wet pen if you just give them water..what i do is give them water in the morning in their pen, then i get ready for work, then in my case, my ducks have an outside pen, which the bottom is grass (this is what i keep them in prior to them being fully feathered and able to be out on the lake) I let them in the pen during the day, give them water and food..they seem to not make quite the mess out there, they forage and lay in the grass and sun, rather than what they do in the pen which is just play in the water out of boredom till all the water is soaking their bedding and they're wet and smelly. While they're in the pen outside, i dump the wet bedding and let the pen dry out. I leave them outside until it's nearly dark with food and water. When i bring them in to their pen, I do not put more water in the pen, so they can sleep in a nice dry bedding..because honestly, all they'll do is soak the bedding, they aren't so much drinking it as they are playing in it..and at night they sleep, so they don't really need water for a few hours. At least in my case, that's what i do. I, like you have tried every different kind of waterer out there..even the ones where all they can do is get their beak in ..and they somehow just flood the cage..just keep drinking and playing until the bottle of water is empty..if it's a gallon size, then they dump a gallon of water..if it's a quart they dump a quart..there is not other way to do it, i've found than giving them ample access to the water during the day..then cleaning the pen right at dark and not putting water in at night...

I have to kick mine outside by 5 weeks for that reason. But before they are feathered/partially feathered, If you use a butter/margarine tub and cut a hole in the lid just big enough for them to get their head in it helps along with doing like serenity and setting it on an old broiler pan of wire grate over a tub. Then they play w/o it splashing all over but it will still get wet just not as fast.

Lol Totally relate!! Have not found a way to keep the pen completely dry but have found a few things that sort of help! I think your talking about ducklings in a brooder and so I'll start with those-one thing is that I change the bedding EVERYDAY! Even if it doesn't look spoiled yet-everyday is my new rule! I also try to give them a water bowl that is harder to drill all the water out of, like a deep bowl or something like that. The other thing is to put the food and water on opposite ends of the cage and that also helps a little.Same thing applied to there adult pen. I water mine in a deep bucket.

Good Luck to you and your messy friends!!

First time duckling owner here too. Good thing they are so cute because they are soo messy. I have found different bedding helps too. I really like the wood pellets used for horses. When it gets wet I mix it all together and move the wet bedding under the lamp to dry out and put the dry bedding by the water. Then you don't have to change it as much. I also think I am going to try putting hay on top of the wood pellets and see how that goes

We finally moved the ducklings out to the coop with the others yesterday. Thank God because I couldn't take the mess anymore. Now they can be messy in the coop where they belong.
And I agree...they make up for the mess with cuteness. :)

Back
Top Bottom