How to keep ducks out of chicken nests

Nov 20, 2020
I recently added a few ducks to my flock. And over the last week one of the ducks has decided they like to eat chicken eggs. I’m building a better egg box set up and want to have one nest for ducks and for more for chickens but I’d like the ducks to not be able to access the chicken boxes. My first thought was to make a smaller opening to get to the rest of the boxes but then also thought maybe I could hang curtains over each box so the eggs are out of sight.
or I could to set it up so the eggs roll out of the egg box and out of reach from everybody!

Has anyone had success with the first two options? The third seems best maybe..

try to keep the nesting box quite dark, pick the eggs up before one tries to eat them ( I know that can be difficult ) and I would say to try and experiment with all of those ideas to see what works best. You might have to separate them if you don't want that to continue... The chickens might also be doing that if they're not getting the right nutrition that they need... ducks and chickens need different diets. Hope that helps! :wee

I recently added a few ducks to my flock. And over the last week one of the ducks has decided they like to eat chicken eggs. I’m building a better egg box set up and want to have one nest for ducks and for more for chickens but I’d like the ducks to not be able to access the chicken boxes. My first thought was to make a smaller opening to get to the rest of the boxes but then also thought maybe I could hang curtains over each box so the eggs are out of sight.
or I could to set it up so the eggs roll out of the egg box and out of reach from everybody!

Has anyone had success with the first two options? The third seems best maybe..
Are the nests on the ground?
Might try rising them up?

Curtains might work.
Roll outs would definitely work.

What kind of ducks?
If you raised the nests up off the ground that would help for sure.
I think one is Pekin, two are Rouens and then a Cayuga I believe. All adopted from a coworker.

@aart @SilverBirds And ahhh yes, I wish I had space to raise the nests but I converted a 10x12 metal shed to a coop, and I think If I raised the egg boxes up then they would be above the roost and I'd love for them to not sleep in the nests :) but working on the rollout. Just need to get some soft bumpers for the downhill side.
Made the nest boxes darker, and one of the ducks is laying in there now

I have usually seen it recommended to house ducks and chickens separately because their needs are so different.
Which Needs ? Most of the stuff I've read says the can cohabitate.

Which Needs ? Most of the stuff I've read says the can cohabitate.

First, dry chickens are healthy chickens but ducks create a wet mess everywhere they go.

Second, ducks are ground nesters and ground sleepers while chickens prefer to sleep high up on a roost -- which means that the ducks can be pooped on by the roosting chickens above them.

Third, which only applies if you have drakes, a drake has a penis but a rooster does not. A drake who mates a chicken hen can kill her from internal damage.

Back
Top Bottom