How to Keep Hawks Away?

Pics

Biggy

Chirping
Feb 27, 2019
I have had four adorable and amazing chickens for almost 3 years now. I have never had any predator problems because we are in city limits so the amount of predators are minimal. My girls have always free-ranged in our backyard with no problems. The last few days for the first time, we are having a hawk (I think a red-tailed) visit and try to snatch one of them away. I was able to scare him off the first time, but the second time he was able to do some damage to Rhoda my RIR. Her injuries weren't too serious several feathers were pulled out and she had a few scrapes. I was able to wash out the cuts and am helping them heal. I was wondering how you guys keep your girls safe from hawks. Right now, they are cooped up in a shed that we turned into a chicken coop. It is small and doesn't get much light so it isn't ideal. I don't want to let them out in fear of the hawk coming again. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

I have had four adorable and amazing chickens for almost 3 years now. I have never had any predator problems because we are in city limits so the amount of predators are minimal. My girls have always free-ranged in our backyard with no problems. The last few days for the first time, we are having a hawk (I think a red-tailed) visit and try to snatch one of them away. I was able to scare him off the first time, but the second time he was able to do some damage to Rhoda my RIR. Her injuries weren't too serious several feathers were pulled out and she had a few scrapes. I was able to wash out the cuts and am helping them heal. I was wondering how you guys keep your girls safe from hawks. Right now, they are cooped up in a shed that we turned into a chicken coop. It is small and doesn't get much light so it isn't ideal. I don't want to let them out in fear of the hawk coming again. Any tips are greatly appreciated!
I too would like to knowWe have had on chicken killed by a hawk and a second attack that wasn't too bad. I have been told that there is no way to stop this sort of attack but sitting on the back porch with a gun (you have to be a good shot) . SoI really would like to know TOO ?

The only way to truly keep chickens safe from aerial attack is to keep them in a large covered run.
You can provide plantings and cover for them to run under but hawks are amazingly agile and maneuverable. I've read of hawks attacking chickens right under the nose of people out "keeping an eye" on their ranging chickens. Cover will certainly help but it will not prevent all hawk attacks.

A fake owl will sometimes work. They are both predators and territorial so that works sometimes on some hawks.

upload_2019-2-27_17-52-26.jpeg

2C4C348300000578-3233963-image-m-4_1442239436732.jpg

american-kestrel-2237b-ron-dudley.jpg

I have not lost birds to Hawks but have several shrubs and a huge apple tree in there yard key is give them places to hide
Yes I have all kinds of bushs shrubs etc. The problem is that the hawk came out of the sky on top of the barred rock , she never had a chance . Some one mentioned tieing ropes on trees and stretching them accross the yard to another tree one going horz/one vert. Hanging dangling plastic pieces off the ropes. I would need 2 miles of rope to do this my trees aren't very close in the area where she was attacked.

So far a hawk hasn't gotten any of my chickens, I have them in a run with a cover, I did have one get one of the pigeons that had invaded my yard. The owl might work, but will need to be moved around to keep the hawks from figuring it out. if you still want to have them roaming the yard, make yourself a movable pen, mobile tractor I think their called.

Back
Top Bottom