How to keep hens from ranging so far?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Urbanchickens, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Urbanchickens

Urbanchickens Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2007
    We have 3 hens, almost 2 yrs old. Every month, they have gradually ranged farther and farther from our yard. They always come home to roost (and lay) so that's not a concern. But they are now scattering our neighbor's mulch, 2 houses down. They hop our fence but they need a good hop and a couple of wing flaps to reach their roost each night. So we truly didn't want to clip their wings. If they'd just travel the opposite direction, they'd have acres of undeveloped land to roam. But no, those landscaped yards to the north are much more appealing apparently. Dang it!

There must be something inconspicuous we could use for a deterrent, just to turn them around. Fake owl statue? Fake hawk statue?

Any ideas?

TIA!
    Karen

2. Brunty_Farms

Brunty_Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Ohio
    It never fails... you can have 100 acres for them and only 10 square feet for your flowers..... and they still want it all!!

I wish I had something for ya... High fences... or clipped wings.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    Mine aren't happy till they are ten feet over the property line. Luckily the guy next door likes that they eat bugs.

4. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Clip wings and lower the roost? I dunno....Chickens are pretty hard headed and dedicated! [​IMG]

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    Could you make the fence higher? Or maybe put a fence up to keep them from going in that direction?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by