How to keep multiple roosters for breeding.

jarcoo0153

Songster
9 Years
Mar 13, 2010
Levelland, Texas
They are still chicks, but I purchased a few extra roosters with my order to raise for meat. The hatchery sent me many different breeds, and I want to keep a few of them to use for breeding. My question is can I house all the roosters together in one pen or will they fight all the time?

I keep my extra roos(15) together no problems.

When i am ready to change out roos i do it at night, the new roo catches some flack at first but they end up getting along just fine.

Our roosters all live together with very minimal squabbles..it usually ends with see my chest I am King or a bunch of the follow the head stuff...then one just walks off.They need enough space to have a time out of they choose. Some may fight but chances are those roos are not overly nice to you either and make better dinner
smile.png

I have heard (no personal experience) that if they are separated from the hens they will get along. Of course they will have to establish their pecking order. If given enough room they should be fine until the time comes to process them for meat. I am sure someone else that does have experience in this area will chime in.

My brother set up "The Swinging Bachelor Pad" in our mother's old greenhouse. The boys roosted in the rafters and everytime Mom moved a flower pot, they were all over the bugs! The greenhouse was on the other side of the yard from the chicken run. Losers of the Personality Contest got chopped first. When they had only three roosters left, Brother moved the boys back with the girls (who were finally laying).

I currently have a "Swinging Backelor Pad" and a "Hen House" side-by-side. The two roosters spend a lot of time pacing back and forth while they call the girls. I let the boys in when I put the girls up. ("Ack! Here come the boys! Run inside to bed before they mate you!") The roosters are happy to sit on the hen house all night, but if I think it will rain I throw them inside also.

Great! I glad that they will hopefully get along. The hatchery sent me a Buff Brahma, a Speckled Sussex, and a Naked Neck, and I really want to keep them. So now I know I can. Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom