How to keep my mocking birds safe?

ThePhoebeFive

My good opinion once lost, is lost forever.
12 Years
Apr 7, 2011
South Carolina
Okay, they're not mine, but we watch them raise at least one batch of babies every year and I have helped them rescue some of their babies in the past. They built their second nest this year in one of the crape myrtles that our cat loves to climb. She discovered the nest this morning, but thankfully I stopped her before she made it all the way up the tree. The mocking birds keep dive bombing her, but she isn't catching the hint. Does anybody have ideas of things I can use to deter the cat?

I would try a hose, being careful to just scare the cat, not soak them or hit the nest, or also a fog horn of some kind. Those are two things cats are really sensitive to. Sourland has a good point that keeping them inside for that week or so is your only sure bet, though.

Teach them to stop mocking others...

But no, orange peels won't work. A really robust fence around the tree, with a floppy no-climb fencing on top...but careful to build it far enough out from the trunk and branches so it doesn't make a leap to the tree easier.

So, the best option for us is to put puppy/baby gates around the tree because our cat is scared of them. It's working okay, but I'm also spraying her with the hose everytime I catch her nearby. I think the parents are even starting to catch on that I'm helping them, because they've stopped dive bombing me! I'm also putting food out near them so they don't have to go as far.

Back
Top Bottom