How to keep predators away when free ranging chickens?

I use great pyreenes...trained to guard chickens they are incredible...I once saw an egret swop down beside one of my goats..the dogs were there and had the egret in his mouth in a flash..then the funny thing he saw the egret couldnt hurt anything and let him go...just dropped him and walked off...i also have electric fence about 4 acres for the chickens dogs and goats to roam on..i also have a shotgun and 22 ..and am not afraid to use them..

I got a Boston Terrier and a Border Collie/pit bull mix and they have done a great job of protecting my flock. Seems to me that bulldogs are up to the task as well.

I free range mine, I am home, for 2 years, lost a silkie yesterday to a coyote...caught him running off with her....poor little thing...so either a good fence, keep them in, or sit out in a rocker with a shotgun!

I free range my chickens and noticed the hawks circling very low looking for the easy pickins.
For my hawk problem, I've been putting up these metallic pinwheel spinners all over the place.
pinwheel.gif

I attach them to the top of fence posts all around the property and some are stuck into the ground, but I try to keep them high.

Since I've been using them, I have not noticed the hawks flying "low" anymore.

The wind blows the spinners and the metallic shine reflects off the sun and keeps the hawks at bay.

61KKZZKWw2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg
5700DPPW2.jpg
31lFDcUYZ0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I've free ranged successfully for years with no losses from free ranging....except for a stubborn pullet that liked to roost in the barn at night and got picked off by an owl.

1: Good, full-time free ranging dogs inside a perimeter fencing of their own or a way to keep them contained to the area in which the chickens free range. I use wireless electric containment and have for many years now...the original fencing system has paid for itself over and over for keeping my dogs safe and keeping my chickens with full time guardians around their range and coop.

2: Plenty of duck and hide areas...trees, lumber piles, barns, even fence rows are places a hen can duck and hide near or under.

3: Good, vigilant roo to call a warning.

4:Flighty breeds/chickens that aren't so tame they don't run at threats from above. If you are constantly stooping to pick up your hens and all they do is squat when you do this~they won't run when a shadow from above stoops on them either. Stop picking up your hens willy-nilly and expecting them to be so tame they don't run away from a perceived threat. They need this survival skill if they are to free range successfully.

5: Perimeter fencing if you can afford it....just to keep the casual dog out, keep your chickens from the road and from the neighbor's yard.

6: If you can't afford any of these, invest in electric poultry netting fencing that you can move easily to fresh range...they make them, they last a good long time, they are easy to move and reposition...and will keep 4 legged preds away, though probably not your hawks unless you also range a dog inside that electric fencing.

I really like the pinwheel idea. I also saw in a magazine article somewhere that someone was stringing old VHS tape between posts and the slight buzzing kept predators away. I am also looking at the Great Pyrenees. There have been some good ideas in this thread I look forward to trying out.

Back
Top Bottom