how to keep racoons out of chicken coop?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mandierae, May 20, 2011.

1. mandierae

mandierae New Egg

May 13, 2011
    I am at the begining stages of chicken ownership. I do not have chickens yet. Right now I am trying to decide how to build the coop. There are alot of racoons on our property. They have become quite a problem getting into trash and eatting my cats food. We have a friend that brings his coon dogs over and chases them off but I don't know if they will stay gone. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to racoon proof my coop?

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Enclose all 6 sides with good quality wire and put good latches on the doors. I've seen coons rip thru light chicken wire or open a flip type latch and wipe out a flock fast. A easy trap that is chicken proof is a 1" hole drilled into a post or 2X4 with 3 or 4 nails angled into it and bait in the back of the hole. The coon will reach in, pushing its paw past the tips of the nails but when it pulls out it's leg is inpaled by the nail tips and trapped. Kind of a combination of a chinese finger trap and a kids hand in a narrow neck cookie jar. An alturnative is a hav-a-hart and a hole in the fence to lure them in along with some bait.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by