How to keep run clean?

DEChickGal

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
Sussex County, Delaware
We have a rather large chicken run off our coop. Most of the grass has been eaten now and we are adding some new chicks (when they are ready). My question is is there anything to add to keep it more sanitary? Anything I can sprinkle on the ground? Sand is not a good option and litter would make a mess. I clean it daily by raking up all the droppings and making sure it stays free anything harmful. Currently they like to dust bathe in the dirt but what should I provide for them to dust bathe in (what kind of substance). Thank you for your help... trying to keep my ladies and gents healthy as can be.

Happy Memorial Day to all and Remembering all those we lost fighting for our freedom!

We have a rather large chicken run off our coop. Most of the grass has been eaten now and we are adding some new chicks (when they are ready). My question is is there anything to add to keep it more sanitary? Anything I can sprinkle on the ground? Sand is not a good option and litter would make a mess. I clean it daily by raking up all the droppings and making sure it stays free anything harmful. Currently they like to dust bathe in the dirt but what should I provide for them to dust bathe in (what kind of substance). Thank you for your help... trying to keep my ladies and gents healthy as can be.

Happy Memorial Day to all and Remembering all those we lost fighting for our freedom!
They can bathe in sand, dust, and probably more tat I can think of or know.

I love my deep litter run. I find it is not messy at all, and I don't clean it. Ever. Not smelly. Not messy, imo. I've also done hemp. But you'd probably find it messy.

It you really only want a dirt floor, I'd suggest PDZ, but it will just sit on the dirt and not do much to help. Is your run coveted? I imagine it will turn to mud come rain.

I love my deep litter run. I find it is not messy at all, and I don't clean it. Ever. Not smelly. Not messy, imo. I've also done hemp. But you'd probably find it messy.

It you really only want a dirt floor, I'd suggest PDZ, but it will just sit on the dirt and not do much to help. Is your run coveted? I imagine it will turn to mud come rain.
Thanks for the input. It is half covered and I can keep them in just that half it rains bad.

Pine needles or mulch on the side that is covered, and then on the side that isn’t covered add a little bit of compost soil and wheat grass seed.

We have a rather large chicken run off our coop.
How big is that in feet by feet?
Pics would help.
Any standing water happen in the run?

You're in Delaware?

My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
Aged ramial wood chippings are best IMO.
I do have space to store a large pile of chips tho.
full

full

Back
Top Bottom