How to keep shavings out of waterer

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Dutch552, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Dutch552

Dutch552 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2011
    Hart County, KY
    I have some week-old chicks in my stock tank brooder and I can't keep the shavings out of the waterer-1 gallon round standard type. What can I put under it to help keep them from kicking shavings into their water?

2. gale65

gale65 Chillin' With My Peeps

At one week we put the waterer on some bricks.

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    If I can't raise it up on something, I put a papertowel around the waterer. It helps.

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I did try both of those suggestions in my brooder and still found shavings in my waterer. Another suggestion I saw was to put larger pellets rather than shavings in the brooder b/c they couldn't move the pellets as easily - but I didn't try that b/c I already had an abundance of shavings on hand. I also got the suggestion of putting hanging waterers inside the brooder low enough so they could drink that were attached to the wall. I didn't try that either as mine is plastic tub and I didn't want to put holes in it to hang anything - but that option sounded like a good one and if I wasn't going to repurpose the tub I would have tried this one. I have the coop waterer hanging from the ceiling and I noticed last night that it has a little bit of shavings in it - so I will attempt to raise it up a little for my 4wk olds to see if that helps. However I think it's going to be a constant as long as shavings are on the floor.

Hope you find a solution. I just empty their water dish twice a day and any time I notice it full of shavings - of course they're in my living room so that helps me notice it better.

5. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    even as 9 weekers and having our waterer up on bricks, there's still shavings in the waterer.... they just really love scratching and kicking the stuff everywhere. I just try to keep it cleaned out every time I check on them.... usually there's a side that doesn't have as much so I know they are still able to get water. Also, this is why we're going to make a pvc waterer to hand on the wall of the coop so that they can't tip it or get shavings in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by