How to keep stress down?

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
After many moons of convincing and compromising, we will be renting chickens. Not my original plan, but hey! it's chickens! How can I make the transition from the farm into my coop as stress-free as possible? We will be picking them up, and I wasn't sure about putting them right in the coop after possibly not being in the same place for a while. I would need a bit of time to set up the run, and I don't want to let them free in the yard first thing. I don't really want to leave them in boxes, but I also am worried that shoving them into a coop together immediately would cause tension and stress between them. I don't want to let them free in the yard either, because I am worried that I wouldn't be able to pay them enough attention. What should I do? I'm talking about 3 barred rock laying hens.

Put them in the coop with water and feed immediately. It should be quiet and darker in there, and that will calm them down. If you get them later in the day, closer to dark in the coop is a good thing.

Do beware of how hot it is the coop. Coops can quickly overheat on hot days, without adequate ventilation. Do get some run put together ASAP as chickens really do need sunshine and fresher. Do make sure there is shade out in the run too, especially about 4:00.

Chickens don't really like change, so by putting them in the coop, that is one change, they will probably lay the next day, that egg being in the pipe so to speak, and then take a couple days off as they get used to things.

I have never heard of renting chickens, how much does it cost, and who is responsible if one of them dies?

Mrs K

Put them in the coop with water and feed immediately. It should be quiet and darker in there, and that will calm them down. If you get them later in the day, closer to dark in the coop is a good thing.

Do beware of how hot it is the coop. Coops can quickly overheat on hot days, without adequate ventilation. Do get some run put together ASAP as chickens really do need sunshine and fresher. Do make sure there is shade out in the run too, especially about 4:00.

Chickens don't really like change, so by putting them in the coop, that is one change, they will probably lay the next day, that egg being in the pipe so to speak, and then take a couple days off as they get used to things.

I have never heard of renting chickens, how much does it cost, and who is responsible if one of them dies?

Mrs K
Thanks for such a quick reply! I hadn't heard of renting chickens either, this is from a local farm. It costs about $300 for the coop and run, 3 laying hens, food, feeder and waterer, and bedding. That is for the first month, then they charge per month. You are held responsible if the bird dies, you have to pay the farm $75 if one dies, and you can pick up a replacement hen. Thanks for the response! I wasn't sure if putting them all together in the coop would cause stress/fighting. I hadn't even thought about it being dark and calming for them. Our first priority after we pick them up is getting the run set up, and we will try to have as much ready in advance as possible, so we can get them the space more quickly.

I hesitate to post this, and perhaps I don't understand the whole situation. However, I think you are getting rooked. Granted I am just have chickens as my hobby, but I have NEVER paid anything close to $75 for a hen, let alone a dead one. And chickens do die. Sometimes, they have a genetic ailment, and you just find them dead the next day.

Seriously, consider going on Craigslist, or a facebook page, in search of a small shed. Build a run, and buy some chicks. I will admit, that the coop is the most expensive part, but if they are renting the coop to you, it cannot be that big, as in they will want it back.

Can you post pictures? How much is the monthly charge?

Mrs K

I hesitate to post this, and perhaps I don't understand the whole situation. However, I think you are getting rooked. Granted I am just have chickens as my hobby, but I have NEVER paid anything close to $75 for a hen, let alone a dead one. And chickens do die. Sometimes, they have a genetic ailment, and you just find them dead the next day.

Seriously, consider going on Craigslist, or a facebook page, in search of a small shed. Build a run, and buy some chicks. I will admit, that the coop is the most expensive part, but if they are renting the coop to you, it cannot be that big, as in they will want it back.

Can you post pictures? How much is the monthly charge?

Mrs K
It may be a lot, but beggars can't be choosers. Apparently the rest of my household would rather spend a crap ton on chickens that you're less committed to, instead of just buying stuff cheap in the first place. It kinda takes a bit to explain, but here's the page: https://www.clarkfarmbusiness.com/chicken-coop-rental

It's a racket...and the coops are tiny.
For the cost of their 3 month minimum, you could buy a simple shed.
I know. I am totally on board with buying stuff cheaper and remodeling a shed. But the rest of my household would rather be less committed to chickens. Part of the money that you spend on the rental can go toward buying one of their larger coops. My friends have had one of their larger ones for years without any issues.

I know. I am totally on board with buying stuff cheaper and remodeling a shed. But the rest of my household would rather be less committed to chickens. Part of the money that you spend on the rental can go toward buying one of their larger coops. My friends have had one of their larger ones for years without any issues.
Maybe you should do it on your own then...keep the roommates out of it?

Back
Top Bottom