How to keep the duck house dry?

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
My ducks and hens share the same large henhouse and eat out of a 3gal. metal gravity fed feeder and the same for the water, The ducks with running from feeder to waterer have made the floor of hardwood chips like thick mud (no doubt feed & water dropped there too). I plan to over winter 9 ducks and 15 hens in this lg. garden shed. Anyone have any ideas of how to keep the floor dry?

Attached to the front of my shelter is a three sided lean-to with a ground floor. This is where I feed my ducks, and they also like hanging out there in the evening. I do not feed them in the four sided shelter for the same reasons you cited. If you put your nose about one foot above the floor and take a good whiff then you would know what I mean.

Thanks for your suggestions - and I can understand NOW why you feed your ducks outside. Trouble is in Western NY State our winters can be fierce and not sure that would work for me. Besides I just talked my husband out of giving up his large garden shed to house my chickens and ducks - I'm sure he's not going to want to build another shelter (but hey its worth a try). Thanks again for your comments.

Michigan penninsula is no doubt as cold as we are in Western NY. How do you keep their water in winter time from freezing? I currently have a 3gal metal waterer that sits on a round metal electric warmer. Also have a 3 gal plastic waterer that plugs in but it is so cumbersome to fill as you have to turn it upside down and fill through a small hole(I usually spill more than I get in the waterer).. . I let the chickens free range and let them outside until we get snow deep enough that would make it difficult for them to walk in - then they are kept inside the shed. This is my first year with ducks - the chickens are easy to keep over the winter w/electric heated waterer but with the ducks throwing the water all over I'm not sure how its going to pan out.

Here's a picture of a water porch from Holderread's farm: Of course you don't need rows of them like he has, but maybe you can make something similar:

holderread-waterporch.jpg

found here http://holderreadfarm.com/photogallery/pen_building_page/pens_buildings.htm

I really don't think duck and dry can be used
in the same sentence.
hmm.png

Short of doing all your feeding and watering outside
theres really no way to keep a coop that ducks
are kept in dry.
You would probably get less splashing using a chicken
fount but ducks do need water deep enough to
submerge their heads in so they can regularly
clean out their eyes and nostrils.
You could always offer deeper water outside during the day time only. I often have to shovel snow so my waterfowl can get outside....sometimes just so I can open their door.
Waterfowl don't like being cooped up and like do get outside even during the winter months.
They also need bathing water a few times a week.
Chickens don't like going out unless its a very balmy day and the snow isn't deep.

orig.jpg

standard.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom