How to keep the metal feeder together, attached at the bottom

houlesranch01

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Hi all,
I have raised chickens for several years now all have been free range, But last winter I lost all of my flock to a fox den that moved in up above us, so now I have started over, but realize my chickens cannot be free range anymore javascript:insert_text('
sad.png
',%20'');
So I received 18 hens from a friend of mine and all of his metal waterers and feeders, my question is

How Do I keep the metal feeder together at the bottom? with the little wires attached to the pan below. I keep seeing it slipping around and coming loose. Do I have to keep the feeder full for it to work properly? It does not have a lid, so it does sit on the ground. Please advise.
i am so glad that I found this website. I love my fresh eggs YEAH

I replaced those wires with 2 pieces of 8-32 threaded rod and wing nuts that I bought at the hardware store. It hasn't come apart since.

Like Bearfoot Farm said, it works when it's hanging. I had mine sitting on the floor of the coop and had nothing but problems- the metal posts would slip out and slam the canister down in the tray. I added a simple metal lid from the hardware store with a hole that the handle can poke through so that no one can roost on it and I hung it in the coop. The weight of the food pulling against the posts in their holes works great!

Aha, I knew that there was a catch to this with the handle.. I will do that tomorrow morning. Thank you so much..
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom