How to keep them entertained while penned?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by swampcat, Aug 14, 2011.

1. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Okay, so maybe I'm a little too crazy for my chickens. I just feel so bad for them being in a pen. My ladies always free range as long as there is someone out there with them, but today it is raining. I surely don't want to sit outside and chickensit....but..... they look really bored. I put down some shredded leaves and mulch for them to peck through, and quite a few handfuls of birdseed has been scattered, but they are running back and forth trying to find their way out. What can I do/put in their pen to keep them occupied and pass the time quickly for them?

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    hang vegetables on a string just out of there reach so they have to jump and peck at it. It's one of my chickens favorite things to do

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    They don't need to be entertained, they are easily amused by just scratching around. It's kinda what a chicken does LOL. I wouldn't worry at all it's not a big deal.

4. cobrien

cobrien Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    Oakland, CA
  5. Orange Ribbon

Orange Ribbon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Put up a little tarp outside the pen for you to get under, get a guitar and play them some country music. If you can't play music do some standup chicken jokes. I bet that would be quite entertaining to them. [​IMG] Hey, I'm just messing with you. I can't help it, I just get these weird pictures in my mind and have to share. [​IMG]

6. JustinR

JustinR Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2007
    Albany
    Put 4 crickets in a quart jar..The ultimate chicken toy..

7. swampcat

swampcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Brooklyn, CT
    Quote:Thanks! You would think by now I would search for these things first... I know you BYCers all as obsessive about your chickens as I am [​IMG]

8. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I got a 32" flat screen with a blu-ray DVD set up in the coop and on rainy days I put in "Chicken Run" on. I just pray it doesn't give them any ideas. The have requested "The Great Escape" and "Von Ryans Express" but denied those.

It has been my understanding that they pretty much entertain themselves and myself if I am present.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  9. marcheterrem95

marcheterrem95 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    i put weird shaped logs to jump on and i also put in a big pipe for them to walk on and threw its funy once one walks through its like follow the leader they all go threw

10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    i put goodies on strings too. especially veggies that have seeds they love to go for the seeds while it swings back and forth..

i think they do like to have things to do besides just scratch although a good dirt bath makes them all happy.. but most of all mine love to eat.. so goodies..

Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by