How to keep them from roosting in the tree?

Here is the link to the BYC wing clipping directions.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-wingclipping.html

I got wingclipping info from BYC. It worked for me with one hen. Unfortunately, not for another that insisted on roosting in a tree. She was hawk/owl dinner one night. She started roosting on the coop roof, and I would go out and scoop her up with a fish net. Then she went higher, and I could no longer reach her. Who says chickens aren't smart!!

i think someone may have said this -- but start herding them in earlier. or grab Pepper first and put her in earlier than the rest. remember that they are creatures of habit so more than likely she will forget about the tree roosting.

good luck!

Another angle, if you can't get her to go to bed in the coop (or, until you do...) is to see what you can do to predatorproof the tree.

If its branches are interwoven with other trees', or if they hang low over a fence or other "stepstool", you may not be able to do much -- but if it is a more or less isolated tree, such taht the only way up for a fourfooted predator is to climb the trunk, you can get some 2'-wide metal flashing from the hardware store (or improvise with similar material). Wrap it all the way around the trunk, about 4-5' off the ground if possible (high enough that nothing can jump up to get a hold beyond it). Poprivet the ends together, making sure you are creating as flat and ungrippable a seam as humanly possible. Then screw it into the tree at a couple of places along the top. So now you have a (hopefully) smooth and ungrippable sleeve around the tree, a little way up. This won't help vs owls of course, but can really reduce the chances of a raccoon or similar critter coming up for a chicken dinner.

Good luck,

Pat

So far I'm loving all the help! So many good ideas here...way more than I thought of.

Its been said but herding them in before they start to roost and then locking them up works. Figure out around what time they start roosting and then a little earlier than that chase them inside. It took a couple of days of this for it to work with my chickens but they got the idea.

ohmigosh she looks like MY trouble maker!!! mine is "Minnesota Fatts" - she goes in on time but man she is trouble all day long!

your Pepper is a beauty!

Quote:
Thanks! Pepper is the one my GF is the most attached to...

Back
Top Bottom