How to keep them out?

Quote:
That is gorgeous citychook! We have the same thing around our garden which is about 35x25. It's pretty aged and the posts sank in spots but it does the job. I love the concrete walkway with the stones.
cool.png

I put green (plastic covered) welded wire fence around my garden, its 4' high. The chickens will not fly over it. Since its green, it blends in with the surroundings and doesnt look ugly. It was around $25 for 100' roll.

funny, the fence around my coop in 4' and the chickens/guineas fly in/out but they wont fly over the garden fence.

I think it'd be WAAAAY easier to just fence the whole thing. Lovely garden!! CityChook, your garden is beautiful too. Ahhhh, it's still too early for us here in Michigan. Garden pics make me long for summer months!!

We had no luck with keeping the girls out of our garden last year. I doubt I could convince my DH to construct a lovely fence like CityChook's either. Our garden takes up basically our whole yard! LOL I will definitely look into deer netting.

Thanks for the compliments everyone. Seeing all these garden shots makes me yearn for warm weather. We still have lots of snow on the ground here even tho it's been raining for almost a week now....

Mrb, if it were me, I'd fence the entire garden. It won't be cheap. But it would be lovely destination in your yard.... ah, to enter the garden and then be able to walk from bed to bed along those walkways. It's really beautiful.

Just a word of advice from someone who's been there and done that. If you put 2x4's as a ledge on top of your fence (like my garden is), the chooks WILL get into a 4 foot fence. Once one figures out they can land up there, it's all over. I had to run 7' bird netting around my permanent fence to keep them out.
Gorgeous gardens!!! I turned over my beds last week; it's compost time!

I had the same problem. My birds were in my gardens and devistating them. I came to a realization that I either had to fence in the gardens or the birds. The birds lost.
There are pictures on MY BYC Page.

Quote:
I am ready for some sunshine and spring weather too. We have had rainy, grey weather for almost a week too.

I didnt use boards on the top of my garden fence either. Just the welded wire.

Back
Top Bottom