How to keep water from freezing without electricity

StonyCreekFarm

Chirping
Dec 4, 2018
West Virginia
This may be impossible... BUT....

What are some ways that I can keep the chickies water from freezing without running any extension cords and using a heated water container? It's been in the 20's here in WV lately. I'm at work from 7-3:30 or I would just take fresh water down every few hours. I take some down early in the morning and it's usually frozen by the time I get home. I don't want dehydrated chickens!

What do ya'll use??

What are some ways that I can keep the chickies water from freezing without running any extension cords and using a heated water container? It's been in the 20's here in WV lately. I'm at work from 7-3:30 or I would just take fresh water down every few hours. I take some down early in the morning and it's usually frozen by the time I get home. I don't want dehydrated chickens!

What do ya'll use??
I have been using this method for 30 years. It does not require any electricity. It has been as low as 5°F this year without any ice in my water bucket.

Alternate method to prevent water freezing

What do ya'll use??
Buy a plastic bucket.
Dig a hole about one third to one half larger than the diameter of the bucket; same for the depth.
Fill the bottom of the hole with composting material and part composted soil. so the bucket stand just proud of the ground
Place the bucket centrally in the hole and pack compost and ‘live’ composting material around the bucket.
Place a large stone, or build a platform that fits inside the bucket if this is for chickens. (if a chicken should fall in they can get back out again)
Fill the bucket with water.
The composting material gives off heat in the process. This is often enough to stop the water from freezing.
Shepherds use this system in the mountains here.

I wired up my coop so I don't have this problem. I used a heated dog water bowl.
BUT, I've read that you can put a solution of salt water in a 20 oz. water bottle, cap it tightly and float it in your chicken waterer. You might want to try that.
The salt water would be about 1/4 cup rock salt in the 20 oz bottle then fill with warm water to dissolve.

I wired up my coop so I don't have this problem. I used a heated dog water bowl.
BUT, I've read that you can put a solution of salt water in a 20 oz. water bottle, cap it tightly and float it in your chicken waterer. You might want to try that.
The salt water would be about 1/4 cup rock salt in the 20 oz bottle then fill with warm water to dissolve.

Same here! May have come from my post or read same info. But since poultry peeps here were questioning frostbite and deaths from freezing outside. We bought an indoor outdoor cord to run from back of house to coop. Used outdoor firebox to run extension so connections weather protected and fireproof. I plug into firebox my K and H black large heating pad and the heated dog bowl used as fountain base. If had to do that dog bowl again would just get the closed heated fountain with nipples. If I leave set on all the time does the trick. I put my chicks in coop at night when under 30’degrees and do not allow them to stay outside in run.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom