how to know what color eggs will get laid?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aaisha, Oct 10, 2013.

1. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

hi all.

i heard that you can figure out what color eggs your chicken willl lay by the color of the ears. is that true?
    i got plenty different breed hens, and one of my favorite, annie is a mix breed, she has kinda brownish-pinkish feathers on he ear, and none other got those. plus i am receiving many pinkish brownish eggs, the same color as her ears. i was wondering if that color of ears = color of egg shell is true or no so any opinions whether that is true or no?

thanks

2. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    It's not 100% true, but it's at least a guess. It is the earLOBES that you look for - the fleshy part that looks like the same thing as the wattles. If it's red, they lay colored or brown, if it's white (this often as a green tint to it) lays white. Like I said, it's not 100% but it at leasts gives you something to guess at.

3. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

ok thanks... but my annie is wierd. she doesnt have earlobes but ill check again, i think she got very tiny invisible ones. though since it is raining outside i am inside the house, i will check later

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by