How to know when hens are ready to start laying eggs?

jgm0348

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2017
Mission, Texas
I have 5 hens all with in a few weeks of each other. How would I know or what should I be looking for to tell when they are ready to lay? Also at what age will they start laying?

Thanks in advance!

I have 5 hens all with in a few weeks of each other. How would I know or what should I be looking for to tell when they are ready to lay? Also at what age will they start laying?

Thanks in advance!

It depends on the breed as to when they will start laying. What breeds are they?

As for signs, they may start singing the egg song! Look it up and listen, it's that classic chicken sound. Also they may start squatting and putting their wings out when you approach. The last sign is their comb might start growing really fast and turn a deeper red.

The average chicken will start to lay usually around 6 1/2 months. But if you have any hybrids they will lay at around 5 1/2 months. You can usually tell when a chicken has to lay if you walk over to them and bend down to pick them up, they will squat. They will also make a lot of noise, and go in the coop occaisionally. Their combs will be growing faster, and they will be a bright red

I have three that I think are Rhode Island Reds and two I am not quite sure about.
image4.JPG
image1 (2).JPG
image3.JPG
image2 (2).JPG

You should consider separating the smaller one, the larger birds may bully it and prevent it from being able to eat.
I have been looking for them bullying her but it seems that at this point they are getting along well. She makes her self part of the flock and the other are ok with it so far.

Back
Top Bottom