How to lower humidity and increase humidity

The humidity before lock down is subject to considerable dispute. Some folks don't add any additional water at all while others do. Most extension service documents recommend 50-55%. I try to keep mine as close to 52% as I can manage which has been a bit difficult with this present batch due to our mini-heat wave. At day nineteen or lockdown bump the humidity up to between 60-70%. I prefer 65%.

Raising or lowering the humidity is a function of both surface area of water within the incubator and the amount of ventilation. The more water exposed the more humidity. The less exposed the lower the humidity. More ventilation typically lower humidity while less typically raises it. Keep in mind though that an incubator MUST have ventilation for the eggs to survive so you can only shut it down just so much.

A.T. Hagan :

The humidity before lock down is subject to considerable dispute. Some folks don't add any additional water at all while others do. Most extension service documents recommend 50-55%. I try to keep mine as close to 52% as I can manage which has been a bit difficult with this present batch due to our mini-heat wave. At day nineteen or lockdown bump the humidity up to between 60-70%. I prefer 65%.

I totally agree.

Also, to decrease the water surface, float thin, flat sheets of styrofoam on the water's surface. I cut mine from restaurant carryout box bottoms.​

One tip that I found useful (at least this works in my styrofoam hovabator) is if I add water and the humidity goes too high, I cover part of the water with tin foil. That has been the best way I have found to lower humidity. If it gets too low, I fold the tinfoil back or take it out for a while.

Back
Top Bottom