How to Make a Cornish Cross Live Longer? As a Pet?

cecase

In the Brooder
Dec 7, 2015
I got a batch of 25 cornish cross chicks to show at a broiler show. However, I have gotten extremely attached to a runt I have named Freddy ( I know I shouldn't have named him...) I know that cornish crosses don't tend to have long life spans because they have heart attacks and body weight problems. Is there anyway I can keep him living a longer, healthier life?

Restricting his diet to no more feed than can be consumed in about 15 minutes, two or three times a day; and lots of room for foraging. Making them find the majority of their own food will help get them moving around and keep them active.
Even under the best of circumstances, they might not live more than a year or two.

Thank you so much! Should I restrict his food even as a small chick? They are only about a week old right now, will restricting the food at a young age hurt him? And if so, at what age should I start cutting it back?

Early on, they need feed 24 hours a day. By 4 weeks old, you can begin to restrict feed by only offering it during the daytime, and removing it at night. At 8 weeks old, you will need to restrict feed even more; only offer feed for two or three hours at a time, twice a day. By 12 weeks old, they should be down to two or three feedings a day. Then, that feeding regime needs to be maintained for the rest of their lives. Absolutely no 'extra' treats besides what they forage for themselves.

Back
Top Bottom