How to make a hen broody?

Lavender18

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
So... I want to hatch chicks with a broody hen, the only problem being none of my hens are broody. Last year I hatched with an incubator and that was a great experience, but I wanted to try with one of my hens. Is there a way that I can make my hen broody/encourage her to become broody? Thanks for any help!

Hi!

I have heard that if you slack off on collecting eggs for a few days, the hens are more likely to go broody. What breeds do you have? Some that go broody often are Cochin, Silkie, and Buff Orpington (and probably other Orpingtons too). If you have breeds like the White Leghorn, you are less likely to get a broody hen since that breed has broodiness bred out.

That was a lot of breed, broody, and broodiness. 😂

I have 4 white leghorns, 3 those island reds, 1 Easter egger, 1 barred rock, 1 Americana, and 1 Cochin... therefore (Based off of your reply) the only one I have a chance with is the Cochin? She has gone broody before but she stopped a bit ago. Thanks for your help! :)

The Livestock Conservancy has a list here of quite a few breeds that commonly go broody. In my case I can usually expect a broody hen if I leave a clutch of 5 or more(marked) eggs in the favorite nest box. Other hens will still lay into a broody hens box if it was the favored box hence why I mark the eggs I want and to ensure I get a non staggered hatch.

There is no way to force them broody that I am aware of. The "setters" are broody ones.

Attachments

• pickachicken.pdf
    381.7 KB · Views: 4
I have 4 white leghorns, 3 those island reds, 1 Easter egger, 1 barred rock, 1 Americana, and 1 Cochin... therefore (Based off of your reply) the only one I have a chance with is the Cochin? She has gone broody before but she stopped a bit ago. Thanks for your help! :)
Oh my goodness, we have like exactly the same chickens! I have 3 WL, 3 RIR, 3 BR, an Americana, and a Bantam Cochin, along with some ISA Browns. Okay, so not EXACTLY the same, but similar.

It is possible for other breeds to go broody, it is just not as likely.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom