How to make a Polish Cochin cross.

Quote:
Where did you read this? The genes for lacing should be the same. It's possible that one or the other is e^b based versus E^Wh based, but that should be the only difference.

Lacing genes are Pg & Ml. You need two copies of both for the best lacing. Miss a copy of either and the lacing suffers.

Quote:
Not really by experience as I do not raise any laced birds, but I do know the genetics side. First cross and all dominant genes show, even when only one copy is present. Cross those birds together and some will inherit two copies od a dominant gene, some a copy of each and some two copies of recessive. Add to that the many, many genes in a chicken, and you can end up with a very wide assortment of genotypes. From this breeding you select the birds with the traits you want and de-select those you do not, so at this point you are eliminating the birds that don;t carry the correct genes, and the subsequent generations will each have less and less birds with the incorrect geneset. Note that you are pretty unlikely to get the exact bird you want in that F2 or even F3 generation, unless you hatch many, many chicks. THe farther apart the two parent birds are genetically, the more generations it will take to mix the traits.

I'm going to try GL Polish rooster with GL Cochin hens and was wondering If anybody knows anybody who has either of those two breeds?

I'm wanting to create a standard sized breed that has a feathered head and feathered feet. And the only breeds that have that are either bantam or only come in black, buff, and white colors as far as I know. I'm not trying to create a duel purpuse breed or a layer just hoping to come up with something that looks neat. I just crossed a Silver Laced Cochin rooster with two Silver Laced Polish hens and got ten chicks from them, the lacing on the chicks doesn't appear to be that great just as (Sonoran Silkies) said it wouldn't be, so i'm going to breed these together when they're old enough and try to get better lacing. I'm going to try to do this with Golden Laced Polish and Cochins but with a Polish rooster and Cochin hens, but I haven't been able to get any eggs from them yet. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Quote:
That is neat, Can you post pictures of the hen and the rooster?

Sure, i dont have pics of the hens but here is the roo!
22254_cochin_polish_roo.jpg

sorry about the mess!

Back
Top Bottom