How to make a Polish Cochin cross.

I'm wanting to create a standard sized breed that has a feathered head and feathered feet. And the only breeds that have that are either bantam or only come in black, buff, and white colors as far as I know. I'm not trying to create a duel purpuse breed or a layer just hoping to come up with something that looks neat. I just crossed a Silver Laced Cochin rooster with two Silver Laced Polish hens and got ten chicks from them, the lacing on the chicks doesn't appear to be that great just as (Sonoran Silkies) said it wouldn't be, so i'm going to breed these together when they're old enough and try to get better lacing. I'm going to try to do this with Golden Laced Polish and Cochins but with a Polish rooster and Cochin hens, but I haven't been able to get any eggs from them yet. I will try to post some pictures soon.

Here are some pictures of the Silver Laced Polish X Cochin cross chicks.
76811_dsc_0581.jpg

76811_dsc_0597.jpg
76811_dsc_0588.jpg

76811_dsc_0616.jpg
76811_dsc_0614.jpg

76811_dsc_0619.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,

The cross of the cochins and Polish sound interesting. I have several of each and may try that too.

I have a trio of Buff Laced Polish. They just hatched 8 chicks. 7 of them are light in color and have their little top knots, the 8th one is dark colored-also with top knot. Would both of the parents have to have a gene(s) for the dark chick to appear? or if only one of them is crossed would it show up?

Hi,

The cross of the cochins and Polish sound interesting. I have several of each and may try that too.

I have a trio of Buff Laced Polish. They just hatched 8 chicks. 7 of them are light in color and have their little top knots, the 8th one is dark colored-also with top knot. Would both of the parents have to have a gene(s) for the dark chick to appear? or if only one of them is crossed would it show up?

I'm not sure I think just one if i'm understanding your question right. I think in my cross of the Polish and Cochins the Cochin is the one that has the gene that makes the chick become almost totaly black but (Sonoran Silkies)
says that if I breed these chicks together that their chicks will have better lacing.​

I am guessing that the only way to tell would be to pay closer attention to which hen laid which eggs and from there try to determine if one of them has the darker gene. Of course if the roo is carrying it then both hens should produce a dark chick. That is a project, among many others, for next year.

All of the trio have dark legs.

Also, in the picture of the chicks it is noticeable that the dark chick has dark legs and the light cks have light legs. This is true of all of the light chicks.

103488_buff_laced_trio_and_cks_8-2011_001.jpg

This picture doesn't show the color differentiation between the hens very well, but the roo is there

103488_buff_laced_trio_and_cks_8-2011_002.jpg

In this picture the color difference is very apparent in the two hens.

103488_buff_laced_trio_and_cks_8-2011_003.jpg

Goodness, I have gotten myself all mixed up. I didn't mean to post the Polish here, hope no one minds, I need to pay closer attention to what forum I am in. I didn't mean to disrupt things. Sorry

Quote:
Where did you read this? The genes for lacing should be the same. It's possible that one or the other is e^b based versus E^Wh based, but that should be the only difference.

Lacing genes are Pg & Ml. You need two copies of both for the best lacing. Miss a copy of either and the lacing suffers.

Laced Polish are E^R based, Laced Cochins are e^b based.

Very curious as well, would love to see how multiple generations change.

I just read your post and was wondering the progress.

Have some Info to share on this subject. I have a Blue Partridge Standard cochin Hen and a Silver Laced Polish Roo. I am incubating 2 eggs as we speak. After Posting about this I learned :

Silver Laced x Partridge will produce Sex Linked Chicks.
Your males will hatch yellow/gold and females will hatch silver

Because of my hen (Blue Partridge) I will have a 50/50 chance of hatching some chicks that are blue based. They will all be incomplete Partridge/Laced.

I will post pictures of what I get in about 16 Days if all goes according to plan. But anyhow little more info on the subject.

Ara

Back
Top Bottom