How to make a rooster nice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gigi1147, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    My rooster is a little aggressive, how can I show him that I am the boss.?

2. biggboss

biggboss New Egg

Aug 8, 2013
    you got to let him peck you & don't be scared of him & he will notice your not scared of him anymore.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There are lots of threads on this very topic. I always make my roosters move away from me, I do not allow them to approach without my invitation. No feather fluffing, wing dropping, anything like that when I'm there. Each time you enter his space, walk deliberately toward him and make him move away from you. Once in a while I just chase them a minute or two, that's what the older roosters do to the younger so I figure it works for me, too! ANY sign of aggression gets them chased round and round until he's really, really sorry and looking for a place to bury his head.

Don't expect a rooster to be a pet. Think of him as livestock.

4. Gigi1147

Gigi1147 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2013
    Napa, CA
    Thanks! ~ G

5. Coop de Grille

Coop de Grille Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I had one that would charge at me anytime someone strange to him came to my house. I would chase him around until I could catch him. Then i would carry him around, which he hated. He would RUN the opposite way when he saw me coming. But then he decided to chase my 8 yr old so I found him a new home. Another alternative is a stew pot and some dumplings.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by