How to make a wet bulb thermometer

Littleturkey123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
Owen Sound, Canada
hi, i have looked over all the forums and i cant find a thing to what I want, how to make a wet bulb thermometer. I was wondering what you guys have done, and unfortunately buying it is not an option. my parents don't want to pay for stuff like that.

Last edited:
I made mine with an outdoor thermometer and a shoelace. Got the thermometer at the 99 cent store and found a suitable shoelace in my junk drawer. The shoelace needs to be the kind that "opens up" when the end is cut off. Slip it over the bulb of the thermometer and tie it in place with a bit of thread. Trail the other end of the shoelace into your pan of water and you're all set!

Best thing to do is go to your local hardware store and buy a digital themometer that shows the humidity. Get the indoor/outdoor type. They work great.

Quote:
that is perfect
big_smile.png
exactly what i was looking for, thanks
hugs.gif

The wet bulb method is apparently the preferred method in big hatcheries. This temp depends on both moisture and dry bulb temperature. 85-87 degrees wet bulb for chickens. Cotton works best for the shoe lace--just not easy to find. GL

The wet bulb method is apparently the preferred method in big hatcheries. This temp depends on both moisture and dry bulb temperature. 85-87 degrees wet bulb for chickens. Cotton works best for the shoe lace--just not easy to find. GL

Quote:
If you can calibrate it. I have used a number of digital hygrometers to measure humidity in our layer barn in the winter and they all read differently. The one I trust the most is the $300 humidity sensor plugged into our barn's environmental control system. The cheap weather station sensor that is is in there has always reads 20-25% higher.

Wet bulb may be harder to interpret but if the thermometers are accurate it should be dead on.

Back
Top Bottom