how to make fish meal?

sydney13

Songster
Mar 11, 2010
Massachusetts
i recently made my own bone meal for my feed by drying and the grinding up some chicken bones. So i was wondering if its possible to make fish meal or meat meal of if this is only done in factories? I read somewhere people used to dry it in the sun but they don't anymore. would this method be any good? and if you cant make it then where do people buy fish meal?

Quote:
Hi,
I would think you would have to eat a lot of fish to accumulate enough fish bones to make the process worthwhile.
Recently I read a post describing feeding cat food to chickens. I don't have a cat but I would think cat food per pound is a lot more expensive than a high protein chicken crumble such as the type fed to Cornish-Rock crosses.
Is any one feeding cat food? If so what are you using and is it cost effective?

Joe

My understanding of fish meal is that they use fish that people dont generally eat, or use the stuff from canneries. Like salmon canneries, the bones, and innards get made into fish meal.

I thought fish meal was just ground up fish skulls. I may try this too when we get catfish this summer...they got some big heads!!
lol.png

Quote:
No, most fishmeal and fish oil are made from Menhaden netted in the Atlantic and the Gulf. They are "industrial" fish that are caught specifically for production of meal and oil.

Quote:
No, most fishmeal and fish oil are made from Menhaden netted in the Atlantic and the Gulf. They are "industrial" fish that are caught specifically for production of meal and oil.

you tryin to tell me I can't make me some country fish meal from some catfish heads?!?!?!?!
lol.png
I bet Grouper would make a lot too...they have humongus melons!

Quote:
first i cleaned of the meat from the bones and boiled it in water. then i let it sit in the window to dry and then put them in the oven for 1 hour at 400 degrees because the drying in the sun took to long. after that they where dry so i crushed them up with a hammer until it was powder.

What do you think about feeding shrimp tails and shells to the chickens and how would you process them? I have been giving the "shells" and tails to mine. I rinse them after I clean the shrimp. I thought if they could eat raw meat and other leftovers, shrimp leavings might be okay. I usually chop them up for them but they can pull them to pieces pretty easily. I hadn't really thought too much about it, except to worry if they would flavor the eggs. But so far I haven't noticed anything strange.

Back
Top Bottom