How to make good use of vertical space in coop?

redfoxco

Chirping
Mar 11, 2020
High Rockies
I'm trying to pack a LOT of function into my new walk-in coop -- hopefully not too much! 😉 I have a fairly small footprint for the chicken area (roughly 3' x 6') but I have lots of height to work with (6' eaves sloping up to an 8' peak). I'll be keeping 3 hens (6 max) and they will also have an attached covered/secured run. How have you stacked things vertically (such as roost bars) in a way that works well for you and allows easy access for the chickens? My kids want me to build a sort of spiral roost bar staircase up to a high roost bar ... not a bad idea, except I know it will get pooped on and be gross. 💩

I think you already know that a spiral roost is not a practical idea...
I have roosts all at the same level over poop boards in a U shape. Your smaller coop could accommodate an L shape. Set the boards at counter height (34") with the roosts about 12-13" above the boards.

This was my L shaped arrangement.
ready for chickens.jpg

Some of the chickens hang out on the coop floor and up on the boards/roosts during colder, windy winter days. This is the current arrangement with the U-shaped roosts.

2CAA8E144C7F_1578235491412.png

I would think a 4x8 or a 4x6 footprint for your coop would be a more efficient use of standard lumber dimensions. Is the 3x6 set in stone? If you went with a 22" poop board under a the roost bars that would give just under 2' of space to jump down. It might be a little tight so I would use a ramp as shown so they have options.

Do you have a drawing to scale of your coop plans?

Love your coop, @DobieLover!

Ours is a 6'x12' structure overall, with half being an enclosed coop and half being a secure, covered run. I'd like to divide the enclosed coop portion into two sections: the first will be an entry/storage/egg gathering area for humans and the second will be for the chickens. (This is where I may be trying to do too much with the space I have.) It's framed, sided, and we almost have the roof done, so it's not changing much at this point, but the interior layout is still open for discussion. We sometimes have snow 9 months of the year (most of our property still has 1-2 feet right now) so it's important to be able to step out of the weather and have supplies at hand.

Capture.PNG

Got an elevation showing roof design?

Sure do! I've been using this project as an opportunity to learn SketchUp. This is the basic design (it's missing a few details -- I primarily used this to generate a framing/siding/roofing plan).

The ridge is vented, and each door has an awning-style window (hardware cloth inside). We will field-locate additional vents as needed, once we figure out how air flows in the space. We're trying to keep the structure as small as possible because (a) we're building it partially under our deck (the only snow-free place on our property at the moment) and (b) we need to be able to move it to another area of our property in a year or two.

Capture2.PNG

How tall is your deck?

We have a walk-out basement that opens out under our main floor deck, so the deck joists are about 9' above ground. Luckily, that side of the house faces south, so between reflected heat and thermal mass, the snow doesn't stick there for long.

Back
Top Bottom