How To Make My Hens Lay More? Any Wondeful Ideas?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mrs. Fluffy Puffy, Aug 11, 2010.

1. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I have a whole flock of Buff Orpingtons that are about 2 - 3 years old. I am getting about 6 - 7 eggs a day. [​IMG]
    This Spring I was getting around 20 + eggs a day. We have been having a heat wave, and some of the are molting I know that can decrease egg production, but what could I start giving them to boost my egg supply at least a little bit? Thank You! [​IMG]

2. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    Play some nice Classical music. Something calming like Paco Bell Canon. Stay away from Wagner "Ride of the Valcaries" or Barber"adojio"

3. Amyh

Amyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    I am a newbie, but from what I've read, chickens only lay for 2 - 2 1/2 years. After that they need to be culled an replaced...

At least that's what I've read, but I've yet to get my first egg... so I really know nothing!! [​IMG]

4. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    coooler weather they hate heat they do better in winter spring n fall

5. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Go back to the old ways. Put a jalapeno in the waterer and feed them a mix of mashed english green peas. Should do the trick after about a week

6. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    gently apply firm squeezing pressure with your pointy finger and thumb to the hens head. [​IMG] Works every time.[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    Lots O Light 24/7

8. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Ya'll so mean lol [​IMG].Yea hen's aren't really productive forever but I had some bantam one's I raised as breeder's and pet's and kept them around for 5 year's.Egg production will decrease drasticaly especially after 3 year's.Heat is a big factor too.My Jersey's would lay good even cold winter month's with a slight break at time's.You might look to rehome them if they have been handled often as pet's for someone looking to just have a pet bird or 2.I try to handle my newbies and birds as much as possible to keep them tame.I doubt you will get too many more egg's daily so you need to decide what to do with them now.Im waiting on 3/4 of my new flock of layer's and bantams to lay WEEEE I got a couple Millie Fleur egg's last couple week's here.Baaaaaaa I got about 18 + duck hen's too should be laying soon.I just put some birds up for sale local.I dont have the Inc. capacity now to hatch any so.... [​IMG]

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Is a Jalapeno a peper?
    I hate killing chickens! We had to butch abunch of rooster a few years back cause they were killing the hens. These were roosters I HATED! And I still cryed all day! [​IMG] So I don't think I could bare to butcher all my BO hens! [​IMG]

10. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    Or you could try red chile flakes, the kind you put on pizza. Put it in their treats. Although I wouldn't do it if you have unusually high temps, it might cause problems. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by