How to make your chicks not scared of you

Our babies have the same birthday!! And mine are in my bathroom too! Lol! And I too sing my "chickie chickie chickie" song to them every time I go in!
smile.png

I sing "chickie chickie chickie choo" so much that this evening at the grocery store I asked my two year old son if we should have chicken for dinner and he started singing "chickie chickie chickie choo". Whoops, not that kind of chicken!!
tongue.png

Happy (almost) week old birthday to our chickies!!

They need grit even if you dont give them treats
Yes it will take a while before they become comfertable, so just keep snugglin
When they say at first= 3 days... The chicks are stressed from being shipped, new home, etc....

i think i went about this all wrong. i tried to hold mine alot, and now i think they are alittle bugged out by me. is there any reversing what ive done? ive also had to hand chase them in their brooder cause i wanted to pick them up and place them on their new practice perch i set inside. i have 7 girls, and i built a brooder from wood that has doors and is about 3 ft odd the ground and is about 4ft long and 2 ft wide. at least. i feel like they have alot of room to run from me if i reach in, so they do....any advice!???? i need to re bed and clean the brooder today so i will be handling them. they seem to be calmer around my husband, im convinced its because his chinese zodiac is a rooster!! lol but oh one more thing, my goldendoodle is always sitting by me when i go in, he has no aggression though and im trying to get him used to it as well....are they freaking out because they think im going to feed them to him!?

My grown chicks have always come running to me cause I feed them. They free range and only get fed once a day. I've never gentled them to the point that they don't mind being held though.

I remember reading somewhere- might have been the Outside mag from TSC? (who knows where since I read about chickens all day right now- lol) that they go thru a "teenage" phase where they don't want anything to do with their people even if they were ok with being handled before. The article said that they get over it and will start to like you again. Don't give up on them, they will come around eventually. Do you give them treats? That's the fastest way to their hearts. :)

i think i went about this all wrong. i tried to hold mine alot, and now i think they are alittle bugged out by me. is there any reversing what ive done? ive also had to hand chase them in their brooder cause i wanted to pick them up and place them on their new practice perch i set inside. i have 7 girls, and i built a brooder from wood that has doors and is about 3 ft odd the ground and is about 4ft long and 2 ft wide. at least. i feel like they have alot of room to run from me if i reach in, so they do....any advice!???? i need to re bed and clean the brooder today so i will be handling them. they seem to be calmer around my husband, im convinced its because his chinese zodiac is a rooster!! lol but oh one more thing, my goldendoodle is always sitting by me when i go in, he has no aggression though and im trying to get him used to it as well....are they freaking out because they think im going to feed them to him!?

they are only about a week old, so i just started giving them meal worms. not all will come up to me though. just my two favorties clementine and violet. they are such dolls. and will come up to me when i call them, but still are not all about being held...i have set up a "nursery" for them in my office and spend alot of time just sitting and watching. honestly, i havent turned on the television since i got them. they are soooooo entertaining. i think i just need to give it more time and get their trust.

I remember reading somewhere- might have been the Outside mag from TSC? (who knows where since I read about chickens all day right now- lol) that they go thru a "teenage" phase where they don't want anything to do with their people even if they were ok with being handled before. The article said that they get over it and will start to like you again. Don't give up on them, they will come around eventually. Do you give them treats? That's the fastest way to their hearts. :)

I have two-week old chicks, and they just started coming up to me and eating out of my hand a few days ago. Up until then, they were pretty scared of me and I would have to snatch one up quickly if I wanted to cuddle with it. So, I'd say just give it time..keep sticking your hand in their brooder so they get used to you, and they will eventually start coming to you on their own.

Mine are 18 days old and so far I have given them:

Watermellon
Scrambled eggs
Oatmeal (uncooked - just old fashioned oats)
Finely chopped green lettuce

So far they have loved all those treats, but eggs and oatmeal the best!

Back
Top Bottom