How to make your chicks not scared of you

the male chicks I purposely do not handle (so I wont be attacked when it comes time to butcher) are not social and will run away from my hand.

I wish I knew which ones were males!! I got a straight run of "The Rarest of the Rare" as a Valentines present for the DW.....So those are guess work.

The other 15 we have are girls!!

I wish I knew which ones were males!! I got a straight run of "The Rarest of the Rare" as a Valentines present for the DW.....So those are guess work.

The other 15 we have are girls!!

I have specific girls, and the boys are from the fry pan special and packing peanuts. I did try to feather sex them when they were a few days old to see what I have. So far they all look right except 1 Barred Rock roo looks to be a pullet. But time will tell. I wanted a variety pack to begin with but the kids all wanted to pick certain ones out so we just ended up doing that then ordered the fry pan mix. I also have 8 silkies that are straight run, those ones I dont know which is boys or girls.

I have been opening the brooder and putting my hand in and they all seem to associate it now with all good things...aka mealworms! so funny how a day of treat giving makes them run right up to you so happy to see you!! i also put my hands in and leave them there and they try to peck my freckles and walk on my hands now. it is so cute. i am so thankful for this site, i dont know what i would do without it. you can ready every book under the sun about chicks and still feel like your unprepared! it truely is like being a first time mom, sometimes you just need to talk to people that have been there done that :) BUT now i just have one more question.....is it true that the ones that sprout tail feathers first are roos? if so that 90% guarantee is for the birds!!!! literally!!!!
roll.png

My chicks brooder is on my computer desk. I only have 3 chicks so it's not a huge brooder. I cuddle with them all the time too. So far they are learning that I'm the mama. LOL I'm new to this but what I'm doing seems to work, they are always chirping for me to pick them up.
lol.png

They do like it better if you scoop them up from underneath. I like to hold a chick in one hand and cup my other hand over the top, they stick their head out between my fingers like they will do under the mama hen's feathers. So cute.

They do like it better if you scoop them up from underneath. I like to hold a chick in one hand and cup my other hand over the top, they stick their head out between my fingers like they will do under the mama hen's feathers. So cute.

Yea..DW and I both hold our hand out...when they come to check out our hand, we lift them up from underneath between the legs. Once they get lifted from the floor, they will step up into our hand...Works great!!

Joe

I pet my chicken for a few minutes and they love it when you rub the back of their neck
yippiechickie.gif
And my chickens love cracked corn
bun.gif

When y'all say meal worms, do you mean the ones in the bags at the store or do you mean the live ones? I bought a small bag of the "Happy Hen Treats" yesterday and my chicks won't have anything to do with the meal worms. Should I get live ones instead? Sorry if I sound like an idiot, have no clue about treats!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom