how to manage maggots in the coop?

Don't your chickens eat the maggots? Mine think it's a treat when I find an infested bowl and dump it over. Maybe try turning over the bedding with the maggots and let them find it.

Yes, I saw them in there eating them. I give them mealworms, but maggots are beyond disgusting!!

Can you put your coop up on blocks? It would at least keep the water from going in when it rains. My feed and water for my chickens are in a covered area where water rarely reaches it. Water splashed onto the ground will keep it wet - mix anything organic in with that and you have a fly problem. Flies lay eggs and then you get maggots. You might also try some fly predators. They reproduce by killing the maggots and laying their eggs in the dead larvae. The more predators you have the less flies reproduce. The problem is that you have to sprinkle them out of range of your chickens as they think the larvae are a treat! However, the young predators can fly up to 150 feet to find maggots as hosts, so you don't have to put them directly in the coop. You can study about them online.

Your best bet is to keep the feed dry in the first place.

THANK YOU - I live in Chino, CA near the dairies so there is always an abundance of flies. I have now just given them a new place to visit. I'll be searching for fly predators now!

Yes, I saw them in there eating them. I give them mealworms, but maggots are beyond disgusting!!

This is recycling at its very best!
What makes the larval stage of a beetle ok, but the larval stage of a fly not ok? If it's the fact that maggots eat chicken poop, I could remind you that the eggs you eat directly come through the same orifice as the poop. That has to be more disgusting than eating maggots.

Sorry if I just turned you into a vegan . . .

This is recycling at its very best!
What makes the larval stage of a beetle ok, but the larval stage of a fly not ok? If it's the fact that maggots eat chicken poop, I could remind you that the eggs you eat directly come through the same orifice as the poop. That has to be more disgusting than eating maggots.

Sorry if I just turned you into a vegan . . .

LOL - I used to be an animal cruelty investigator and had to see a lot of animals in conditions you couldn't even imagine and maggots often played a terrible role. Maggots in my industry were never a good thing and they have left me with some pretty gruelish memories. I know everything has it's place, but my limits are spiders and maggots... I fail to forget have chickens and since they are my pets my expectations are a little off... please don't remind me about where eggs come from I am already dreading that...hahaha

LOL - I used to be an animal cruelty investigator and had to see a lot of animals in conditions you couldn't even imagine and maggots often played a terrible role.  Maggots in my industry were never a good thing and they have left me with some pretty gruelish memories.  I know everything has it's place, but my limits are spiders and maggots...  I fail to forget  have chickens and since they are my pets my expectations are a little off...  please don't remind me about where eggs come from I am already dreading that...hahaha
they come from a beautiful bouquet of feathers! How could that be disturbing!

Back
Top Bottom