How to manage multple breeds and ages?

cheeperchick

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 12, 2013
NM
Hi I'm new to raising chicks from babies and decided to start my own flock. Back in June I received an order of day-old chicks from Meyer Hatchery (ordered 9, only 2 made it so I bought a production red and 2 black stars that same day--also same age). Out of my 9 replacements that I received, only 4 made it and I received that order 2 weeks after the original batch. Here's what I have at the end of July:

1 White Rock-pullet
1 Buff Orp (ordered 1 girl, one boy--only one made it but not sure if it's a boy or girl yet)
1 Production Red--starting to look a little roo-ish :\
2 Black Stars/Sex Link-pullets
1 Delaware (replacement)-pullet
1 Dominique (replacement)-pullet
1 RIR (replacement)-pullet
1 Golden laced wyandotte (replacement)-pullet
2 game hens that I took in

I also bought the two below on craigslist--both are about 2 months older than everyone above. I currently have them caged off in the bigger chicken run. They've been like like that going on 3 weeks now.
1 Amaracauna pullet
1 Blue Wheaton Ameracauna Roo

AND...I have a older black star bantam female and a older RIR roo in their own separate run(not sure exactly how old). I had another free-range RIR that passed away last month.

Here's my question--Is there any way to keep all of them together (with the execption of the older ones) in the same pen/coop with the possibility that I could have 3 Roosters in a few months? I feel a little guilty about keeping the ameracaunas in a small space while everyone else is roaming around the pen. They are also a lot bigger than the 4 younger pullets so I'm concerned the younger girls may get hurt. I know I have a lot going on...
barnie.gif

I have always had a mixed flock, with few problems. Your young chicks need to be separate for a while yet, but the older birds could be introduced to each other soon. I use large dog crates in the main chicken house to introduce new chicks to the flock, so that when they are ready to be out they aren't totally new. When the older birds are let out to free range, I let the youngsters out the the cage into the coop. after several days things gradually work out. The young birds learn where things are, and have plenty of space and safe places to get away from the bigger adults. Lots of food in lots of different places, and several waterers available also. If you end up with too many cockrels, or if there's a nasty one, adjustments will need to be made. Good luck! Mary

I have always had a mixed flock, with few problems. Your young chicks need to be separate for a while yet, but the older birds could be introduced to each other soon. I use large dog crates in the main chicken house to introduce new chicks to the flock, so that when they are ready to be out they aren't totally new. When the older birds are let out to free range, I let the youngsters out the the cage into the coop. after several days things gradually work out. The young birds learn where things are, and have plenty of space and safe places to get away from the bigger adults. Lots of food in lots of different places, and several waterers available also. If you end up with too many cockrels, or if there's a nasty one, adjustments will need to be made. Good luck! Mary

Back
Top Bottom