How to manage two broody hens

I have an elevated coop large enough for 8 hens in the middle of a chicken run that is roofed and fenced on all 6 sides with 1/2" hardware cloth. The coop has an automatic door opener so that the birds can come and go during daylight. I generally leave the chicken run gate open all day so the birds can come and go to the fenced orchard (which fence includes the run and coop as well) for foraging. Three nesting boxes are attached to the outside of the coop, with an outside hatch so that I can collect the eggs. The hens get in and out of the nesting boxes from the main floor of the coop. I suspect another hen killed it because when I went out in the morning, the chick's body was laying in the dust of the chicken run, its head obviously pecked. The broody was still sitting in the nesting box with her remaining eggs, but the other hens were at the chicken run gate waiting to be let out. My imagined scenario is that the chick hatched during the night and made its way from the nesting box to the main coop floor, a matter of just inches of travel from the broody hen. Once the door opened and light entered the coop, the other hens probably saw the interloper and pounced. I don't have a way to fence the entrance to the nesting boxes separate from the rest of the coop and still leave the broody hen able to reach food and water as needed.

So with my second try, I have given each of two broody hens some fertile eggs and isolated them into dog kennels with their own food and water supplies. If they indicate that they want to leave their kennel for a dust bath or stroll through the orchard, I open the gate. They generally go back willingly to their eggs after their excursion. So assuming that they hatch some eggs within their kennels, my question remains, when is it safe to either mingle the two broody hens with their hatched chicks (same hatch date), and when would it be safe to let them mingle with the other 6 hens in the flock. Already I see the other hens bullying these two birds when they leave their nests, as they have lost "standing" in the pecking order due to spending so much time sitting instead of interacting with the other birds.

when is it safe to either mingle the two broody hens with their hatched chicks (same hatch date)
Sometimes two different broody hens that hatch chicks in different nests at the same time will imprint on their own chicks and leave each other alone. Sometimes the two broody hens will work together to raise the chicks. Sometimes the two broody hens will fight over the chicks with one wanting to raise them all herself and excluding the other broody. It is possible chicks could get hurt in this fight. If two broody hens are sharing a nest one broody might kill the chicks that hatch under the other broody or they may work great with each other hatching and raising the chicks. I had a hen go broody a couple of days before another hen started to hatch. When the second broody heard the chicks peeping she fought the first broody for control of the nest. Half the eggs were destroyed.

I have no idea if your two broodies will cooperate to raise the chicks together, will leave each other alone, or will fight over the chicks. With living animals anything can happen.

and when would it be safe to let them mingle with the other 6 hens in the flock. Already I see the other hens bullying these two birds when they leave their nests, as they have lost "standing" in the pecking order due to spending so much time sitting instead of interacting with the other birds.
I don't isolate my broody hens from the flock. They hatch in the main coop in one of the nests. When they hatch the hen brings the chicks off of the nest so they mingle with the rest of the flock immediately, though the broody keeps other hens away and tries to keep the chicks separated from the rest of the flock. Having an 8' x 12' coop and over 3,000 square feet outside makes it easier for her to keep them separated. I don't see my broody hens being bullied when they are off of the nest looking for food and water. Others on this forum say they see things like that so I believe you, I just don't see it with my flock.

With mine it has always been safe to let them mingle immediately. That could change the next time I try that. That does not work for everyone. I don't know that it is ever perfectly safe when you integrate chickens, which is essentially what you are talking about.

Hi, you have gotten a lot of great advice already, if you want more reading about options their is a ton of info on this thread...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ong-and-informational-thread.457488/page-2930

It has gone for years, if you search for my name on the thread and go back 6 or 7 years you will find a ton of options and pictures. Here is one I took today...
20230611_145250.jpg

Last edited:
I would try and keep them separate if you can. I open up my brooder area a week or two after the chicks hatch. Mine free-range and there is lots of room for them to roam and be away from the rest of the flock. They all seem to work it out.

You also have the option of putting a few of the eggs that you have under the first broody under the second broody. Then they will both hatch at the same time. Or even just hatched chick under broody number two. Unless you want more chicks.

Back
Top Bottom