How to mark male quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So my boys are starting to crow, and I want to be able to identify which ones are male at a glance so I know how many I will keep, and how many for breeding. What should I use to "mark" the ones that are male? I don't have any leg bands that go that small.

What do all you guys do?

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I keep a bottle of Bluekote and spray a bit on the neck of all my males after I see them crow. Not pretty but it works well.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got a bag of 4" zipties and put one around the leg when I see them crow.

4. CARS

CARS Chillin' With My Peeps

I use zip ties also. You can buy them in many different colors from any automotive parts store. (autozone, napa, checkers, etc. I bet the area Walmart has them in the automotive section of the store)

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I have a can of 5 colored zipties from the hardware store for led banding, boys get blue. Once I decide which are breeders and which go to the grow out pen, breeders get a yellow and blue. Hens get pink and then green for keepers. If you vent sex as chicks, you can get a food color marker set, and put a dot on them, boys blue, girls purple, I cant seem to even get mini zip ties on newborn chick feet. [​IMG]

6. zhekaz

zhekaz Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    MN
    Will zip ties work for button quails? Their legs so tiny...

7. kingmt

kingmt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:[​IMG] & yes they will pull down to nothing but leave them loose on there legs.

It seems like everyone has the same questions all at once around here. I use the zip strips also but for quail I would only mark my hen breeders because everyone else is going to be dinner & I don't think the zip strips taste very good. I have used them to bake but not for taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by