How to mark male quail?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by HidingInTheHenHouse, Sep 26, 2009.

1. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Songster

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    So my boys are starting to crow, and I want to be able to identify which ones are male at a glance so I know how many I will keep, and how many for breeding. What should I use to "mark" the ones that are male? I don't have any leg bands that go that small.

What do all you guys do?

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I keep a bottle of Bluekote and spray a bit on the neck of all my males after I see them crow. Not pretty but it works well.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I got a bag of 4" zipties and put one around the leg when I see them crow.

4. CARS

CARS Songster

I use zip ties also. You can buy them in many different colors from any automotive parts store. (autozone, napa, checkers, etc. I bet the area Walmart has them in the automotive section of the store)

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    I have a can of 5 colored zipties from the hardware store for led banding, boys get blue. Once I decide which are breeders and which go to the grow out pen, breeders get a yellow and blue. Hens get pink and then green for keepers. If you vent sex as chicks, you can get a food color marker set, and put a dot on them, boys blue, girls purple, I cant seem to even get mini zip ties on newborn chick feet. [​IMG]

6. zhekaz

zhekaz In the Brooder

Aug 30, 2009
    MN
    Will zip ties work for button quails? Their legs so tiny...

7. kingmt

kingmt Songster

May 1, 2009
    Mason WV
    Quote:[​IMG] & yes they will pull down to nothing but leave them loose on there legs.

It seems like everyone has the same questions all at once around here. I use the zip strips also but for quail I would only mark my hen breeders because everyone else is going to be dinner & I don't think the zip strips taste very good. I have used them to bake but not for taste.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by