How to mark my roosters?

IDIOT HUSBAND

Songster
10 Years
May 6, 2009
Burgin, KY
I've had a small flock for the last 11 months. I wanted to expand so I ordered 30 more (thus the title IDIOT HUSBAND). I did purchase some strait run chicks and I've heard all the war stories about getting 90% roosters and few hens. I could have up to 11 roosters if everything went real bad. I want to hear some more war stories and is there any way I can mark them(paint, tags, or anything else) to clearly identify them when they get older? This way I will be able to cull or sell or give away. They are 6 weeks old and doing very well. Some of them look a little bigger but I cant be for sure. Thanks for all your help

Leg bands are probably your best bet for marking.

I've actually had very good luck ordering straight run. Out of 30 chickens, 11 were roosters. When I ordered 10 ducks, I only had 1 drake.

we use zip ties to mark chickens for specific things. They are cheap and come in all colors. Blue zip tie on leg means destined for freezer camp around here.

Quote:
"PLASTIC" zip ties. I just bought plastic leg bands ( they look like tiny key rings) at my local feed store for my chicks. I need to mark the different bloodlines for breeding purposes. Wire will cut into their legs.
smile.png

Quote:
"PLASTIC" zip ties. I just bought plastic leg bands ( they look like tiny key rings) at my local feed store for my chicks. I need to mark the different bloodlines for breeding purposes. Wire will cut into their legs.
smile.png

the "wire ties" are AKA zip ties. Just make sure you leave them loose enough for growing into adult size, and check them periodically. Some have related how it's easy to forget and have found a hen or roo limping b/c of a too tight leg band.

I haven't had it happen but I dont think they should be too loose either cause theres a chance they will get caught on something?
I use zip ties also. They work good.

Yes wire ties are plastic. By the way they have a tool at work that will cut the wire ties and not leave any sharp edges. It's really cool and works great. I don't know if I can get them for a knight or not, maybe. If not I can use some sand paper to smooth the edges. I don't think I will need over 7 or 8, so sanding would not be that big a deal. Thanks for all the great replys. You are all very appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom