How to mark newly hatched chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fresheggs4u, Apr 2, 2012.

1. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    Okay here is the problem. I am over run with babies! I purchased 50 Cornish x chicks and all was well. Them my grandson took an incubator to school and 8 hatched there. And then I ,yes me myself and I, wanting some black autrolorps so now 14 have hatched today.....then the kicker the hatchery that I purchased the Cornish x from shipped mr 50 more accidentally. They don't want them back. So all are within a week old off each other some mixed. I want to keep the autrolorp marked.... How do I do that? So I keep them. I guess if I can feed the cx I will have a freezer full in about 8 weeks. Maybe a neighbor will share the wealth ! So the question after rambling....how do I keep the black austrolorps marked as they grow without yet another brooder? That's for your help!. I also have 12 turkey eggs incubating. Lol

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Green food coloring?

Leg bands?

Your cornish cross are not white or red?

3. audrey02026

audrey02026 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Dedham, Ma
    I have a similar situation I have over 102 eggs that are bing incubated all different breeds and I want to keep them marked so i know who os who. I bought the spiral leg bands in different sizes I bought size 4 for when they are very small and then a size up when they get a bit bigger after that I should be able to tell as they will be feather out.

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Your Australorp are black with black legs and white feet pads. I wouldn't think any other marker is needed for them. I'll be hatching out all blue, black, and splash chicks in a few days. 1/3 should have white feet pads-mostly Orpington, another 1/3 will be a Rock cross with yellow feet. To mark the 1/3 pure Plymouth Rocks I plan on using bag ties loosely on legs. That or nail polish on a toe nail. The real trick is going to be dividing the incubator so the pure Rocks don't mingle after hatching until I mark them. Could you imagine awaking in morning to a bunch of intermingled same color chicks that hatched over night?

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  5. fresheggs4u

fresheggs4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2007
    I like the finger nail polish idea. I assume I should use anything but red or reddish colors to prevent pecking. Wouldn't the bread ties cause walking trouble? I tried zip pie ties once and they fell off too easy. I also tried very small dental rubber bands.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by